Remove check for TWS updates

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by just21, Oct 21, 2015.

1. just21

just21

How do you remove the check for Interactive Brokers TWS updates program that runs on startup on a PC running windows 10?

2. ktm

ktm

You should be able to remove the "Check for TWS updates" from the startup folder.

3. just21

just21

Not in the startup folder. Have googled and cannot find the file. Even IB in zug were clueless. i will try IB in US later.

4. sprstpd

sprstpd

I don't know about Windows 10, but in Windows 7 I think you could do this by typing "msconfig" in the Run box, clicking on the Startup tab, and then disabling the TWS Checker there.

5. ktm

ktm

This looks to have been reworked from IB...or I've lost my way.

I got forced to upgrade last week. I logged in this morning and it automatically upgraded TWS again - which is not what I want. I tried opening the startup window and the versions are just "beta, latest and stable".

I want to get ONE version that works and just stay with that. Does anyone know how to disable the new version checking (forced update) in TWS?

6. i960

i960

Yeah, use the TWS "standalone" version which doesn't do auto-updates.

Just be aware that all of the different versions are simply pivoting off different bundles of Java code essentially. There is basically beta, latest, stable, and standalone where the latter is basically a stable version that is updated less often and requires the user to manually download updates. All the different trains are the same software but the release schedule differs so people using latest are using a slightly older beta and people using stable are using a slightly older latest.

Myself I use "latest" I believe and if there's an issue I log back out, switch to stable, and report whatever issue in having.

7. ktm

ktm

Thanks i960. I downloaded TWS, but I needed to get the "Offline" version from the website. That equates to the standalone. They used to all be standalone!!

Thanks for the help.

8. ktm

ktm

All you TWS gurus out there...it's happening again.

I was forced to upgrade TWS, now I cannot turn off the automatic upgrading. Every few days it's autoinstalling a new version. IB's FAQ page says to get the "offline" version. I did that and it's still upgrading constantly. I also found the tws.xml settings file, but it's not obvious which flag to set to FALSE or TRUE to kill the constant upgrading of my version.

Who knows how to do this these days? Thanks!

9. sprstpd

sprstpd

Try looking in the Startup tab in Task Manager.

Or look at this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

10. ktm

ktm

#10     May 18, 2020