Remote Trading set-up

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by fluttrader, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Guys,

I would like to run my broker's software(I am NOT an automated trader) on a remote computer close to the exchange.
    I need to be able to trade like it was running on my own computer.

Where and how can this be done ?

2. mnx

mnx

First you need a computer close to the exchange. You can either do this by renting space (server co-location) or just getting a dedicated machine maintained by the hosting company.

Then you could just use windows remote desktop to access that machine.

You can start by googling: "colocation" followed by the name of whatever city you want to be in...

- mnx

3. I would think that sending an order from you home computer to another computer through remote desktop to the exchange would take longer for the order to get to the exchange. Rather than just sending the order from you home computer to the exchange. Usually remote desktops can have a delay and would really slow down your order. I use remote desktop to trade from my PDA. I use my PDA to log on to my home computer through remote desktop and the trading software runs on my home computer because PDA's aren't powerful enought to run the software themselves

4. Baywolf

Baywolf

Curious. Why do you want to pay to have a workstation closer to the exchange?

I hope you don't think that by having a remote workstation closer to the exchange is going to give you some type of latency advantage over using a local workstation.

You still need to hop data from your remote workstation back to your local terminal, and then any actions back to your remote workstation, negating any speed advantage you might assume you would be getting by moving a workstation closer to an exchange.

If you want to shave milliseconds off your hops (over long distances) fiber to the house will help. That way you are send at speed of light, instead of over copper.

5. True, the location of your computer to the "Exchange" is inconsequential.

6. Surdo

Surdo

7. Light doesn't travel at the speed of light through fiber. Light only travels at the speed of light through a vacuum. :D

8. Baywolf

Baywolf

^ You are right! Well, I dont know about your ISP, but my ISP is a vacuum. That is to say, they really suck. :p

9. I believe I will have a latency advantage for orders resting on the software of the computer,like MIT orders

What delay would I have for orders sent from my remote desktop ?

10. Baywolf

Baywolf

In your initial post, you mentioned that you would not be auto trading. Therefore I assumed that you would be discretionary trading, or at least "hands on". Given those conditions, you would be looking at extremely delayed data since the data you are looking at is actually a delayed screen buffer from your remote trading desk and not the raw data that is being piped to your local desktop from your market data provider.

However, if you are in fact setting up an ATS or staged MIT orders on your remote server, then yes, it is possible that you could gain a very small latency advantage over someone say in California (in theory).

Before you do so, you may want to do a trace route to see what exactly your latency delay is, and if it is even in fact worth it to get a co-loc.

I am in San Francisco, and my latency ranges from ~4ms - ~100ms. Or ~22ms avg. Thats 22 thousands of a second. I assure you that if I got it down to ~19ms with a co-loc, my broker wouldn't know what to do with itself in those saved 3ms I made.

Order pending.... Order filled...

#10     Apr 9, 2008