Remote trading in Brazil

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mkmps, Nov 13, 2002.

1. OT -- so does Nevada - but Nevada has WAY more criminals than Latin America

:D

#11     Nov 14, 2002
  2. Well..ah...I'm going to Brasil to trade and I have nothing more than assumptions?? Am I missing something here?

I understand your move to Brasil, but have you even researched the country? It is nice to know the price of a beer in the country, but that is a far leap from moving there and then saying I need to produce and trade X more or less than Fairfield County what?

You'll absolutely fall in love with the country and will learn the meaning of "jeito" and "bem feito" very quickly. Just remember there are no cars - only buses, telephone books, refrigerators, etc. Monkeys that will sneak into your open windows and steal food while also formatting your hard drive on your computer that you left running while your out to the U.N. food center. But, heh the beaches are very nice!

Good Luck!

#12     Nov 14, 2002
  3. Trajan

Trajan

I would say Chile and Costa Rica as well. As far as I know, Belize is ok.

List:

Argentina: F%$%^ up
    Brazil: High crime, will be more F*%*% up after Lula gets done with it.
    Venezuala: F&^*(& up
    Equador: had a coup a couple of years ago, dollarized, stable for the moment as long as oil stays high.
    Peru: Tupac Shakur, although haven't pf tp many problems lately.
    Paraguay: F%^&( up
    Uraguay: don't know or should these two be reversed
    Columbia: F&$&*$ up
    Guyana, French Guyana and other country I can't remember: Don't know
    Bolivia: don't know

South America is a really messed up place.

#13     Nov 14, 2002
  4. Trajan, you know all this how? Do you live there? I ask because there is a difference for citizens of those nations and for someone visiting on a more temporary basis.

Suriname is the other country you missed (I think everyone does). I know nothing about it except that they have Indians (from India) there.

The situation in Uruguay is similar (tense) to Argentina at the moment. Paraguay is one of the more underdeveloped South American nations but I haven't heard of any recent strife.

Regarding Brasil, remember it's a huge nation and not everywhere is like Rio and Sao Paolo.

#14     Nov 15, 2002
  5. Trajan

Trajan

No, I have never even visited these places. I am a prolific reader. I just look at these places from an American perspective. In other words, what standards of safety, luxury, stability and other factors a typical middle, upper middle or affluent person from America would expect. Things are different for locals than visitors which is why a lot of it is qualified. This is true with Brazil where
    I compared it to Mexico which is in my realm of direct knowledge. Your are right that I shouldn't label the whole place with having a high crime rate. It was a rash comment.

In fact, I would love to visit all of these places with problems, but, thats just me(there is a brand new Four Seasons in Caracas). I just think it's horrible how dysfunctional the continent is right now. What seems obvious to me is apparently not common wisdom among the political elite.

#15     Nov 15, 2002
  6. Trajan get LOST!!!! That is such a bigoted, all I wear is rose colored glasses, I'm "An American" whose idea of camping/adventure/standards is a Four Seasons with the windows open, statements I have seen.

Why don't you put your genius aptitude and talents of reading to the side, and actually traveling to ONE of the places you disparaged?

Better yet, don't EVER leave your sheltered life and go anywhere. If you do go, leave the crown and pampers at home. O.K.?

#16     Nov 15, 2002
  7. Greco

Greco

Well, I live in Brazil and, therefore, I am think I am qualified to clarify your questions.

I am Brazilian, I have got dual citizenship, European and Brazilian, I have been to Europe and I just prefer to live here. Do you know why? Because this is a wonderful land!

I live in a small town near the border with Paraguay and I myself have been there more than once. The mess you are talking about is present only in the big cities, suburbs. Yet it is nothing to worry about if you can take care of yourself.

Moreover some of you seem to be talking about places you know very little or nothing about. It would be the same thing as assuming that the American people and your cities are the same we see in those tons of trash movies you throw at us.

Greco

#17     Nov 15, 2002
  8. mkmps

mkmps

well, these are basic assumptions that i am going by, from the following sources: called a firend's friend RE broker in Belo Horizonte north of Rio, and I basically could get a pretty nice place for about 900 - 1100 real, food and fun is another 300 - 500, I am not too picky, transportation, insurance and other realted expenses another 500 real. Plus 1000 real for cushion/mo, that totals ~ 2700 real/mo which, i believe is realistic. Now I wasn't able to find out the exact pricing of broadband internet, but it is availble in every major city, I can open a bank account with an american passport, and they are very much "cash based".
    So, bottom line on all this is even if I just decide to take the whole year of, I wouldn't be exposed to more than ~12,000 - 13,000 USD/yr. Which is very very reasonable.
    We'll see what happens.

#18     Nov 15, 2002
  9. Greco

Greco

With a thousand dollars per month net income, you will make a good living here. Broadband connections are around $20 dollars per month.

With regard to your bank account I think you would better keep your money in the USA. Brazilian Central Bank regulations are not that friendly to speculation. You might open an account at Banco do Brasil S.A. in New York, whose web address is: http://www.bb.com.br/appbb/portal/fs/atd/siteAgex/nyk/nyk.jsp

As you said before there are wonderful beaches along the shore. I would suggest you a small town in the coast instead. In a few years you will fall in love with the country and its people.

Greco

#19     Nov 15, 2002
  10. Greco

Greco

I was trying to post a link to some pictures but it didn't work on ET. Download the TXT instead and copy and paste the link to see what my town looks like.

Greco

#20     Nov 15, 2002