Remote Traders to get hit with BIG Internet Access Fees

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seasideheights, Jun 14, 2008.

1. This would put a rapidly growing industry out of biz (the online movie rentals, etc). Many people just wouldn't use the service. I believe even if the populace didn't put major pressure on ISP's not to do this, various industries would.

At the very least, there would be one or two national ISP's who would not adopt this model, and take major market share I bet.

#11     Jun 15, 2008
  2. Stop bitching and let the free market sort this out; it's not unconscionable for ISP's to meter access.

Maybe the whiners would also propose paying an average $60/fillup at gas stations regardless of what you drive.

#12     Jun 15, 2008
  3. Most areas are served by one cable provider. I think it will be more a matter of local regulatory bodies preventing the ISP's from implementing this.

A huge wildcard will be Verizon's FIOS. That seems to be shaping up as a cable killer in any event. Also, some municipalities are implementing free wireless. Possibly what is happening is the cable companies see the writing on the wall, and plan on screwing those customers who lack an option to make up for all their defections.

#13     Jun 15, 2008
  4. Yea, my town has actually had free wireless for about four years. It's not perfect because it is rather slow and sometimes does not work at all, but it is something.

BTW, if someone wants to get free wireless on their computer/laptop, check out this program...It's free and has worked in nearly every place I have tried with my laptop...

http://www.makayama.com/easywifiradar.html

I don't know the ethcis behind using this program, but it is free and works. Obviously you can't depend on it to trade, but if you're on vacation somewhere and want to surf the web this is the perfect program.

#14     Jun 15, 2008
  5. Could be a lot more if your kids like to watch youtube, ect.

I think ISP's are just trying to figure out how to suck more blood out of people. They are vampires.

#15     Jun 16, 2008
  6. GTS

GTS

Bottom line is that trading platforms are not big bandwidth consumers therefore the sensational headline of this thread ("Remote Traders to get hit with BIG Internet Access Fees") is false.

Even if ISP switch to a pay-per-byte model it will not cost traders a lot.

#16     Jun 16, 2008
  7. opt789

opt789

If you think 30gb per month just from your trading software as "not big bandwidth consumers" then I guess you are right. But the current ISP plans being tested will charge you as soon as you go over 40gb.

#17     Jun 16, 2008