Remote Server Automated Trading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by BrightPropGuy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. I think it would be very helpful if you would summarize on a general level.

#11     Jul 15, 2007
  2. allonred

allonred

Here is the basic setup:

-Get a normal destop or tower computer(get a Dell machine or something, you don't need an expensive video card, just a decent processor and enough ram to support the program you want to run)
    -I recommend that you instal some firewalling software to protest your machine from hackers and other bad stuff on the internet.
    -Load you automated trading software
    -Enter the code for your tradding system(test it to make sure it can run fully unattended)
    -Find an internet colocation datacenter in your area to host the computer on the internet.(See the link in the post earlier)
    - Turn on your trading system and let it run.
    -You can manage the machine with a program like PCAnywhere or Remote Desktop Protocol.

If I can clarify any of these steps please free to let me know.

red

#12     Jul 15, 2007
  3. This is really interesting. Can you guys give examples the kind of softwares required for such a system etc etc.

I am currently working towards automating my trading system but has not found someone who can do some programming in Excel. Any potential of ppl copying your program if it is hosted elsewhere. eg like in ur broker premises?

Cheers.

#13     Jul 16, 2007
  4. Chicago

Chicago

5. allonred

allonred

As far as tools for automation, there are alot of choices. You can try OpenQuant, NeoTicker, I think LinnSoft does it. As far as the computer's security getting compromised on the internet, the risk is pretty high. For that you can use ZoneAlarm or a similar software that has a firewalling capability. I have worked in a datacenter enviroment for about 4 years, but most of our clients use a hardware firewall. Which adds complexity and cost, because it adds another machine to the enviroment.

red

#15     Jul 16, 2007
  6. Give GuavaTech in Chicago a shout. If you are trading "in Chicago" then host there, hosting in LA is much slower.

#16     Jul 18, 2007
  7. nitro

nitro

I think getting a T1 is the right way to go if bandwidth is not an issue and reliability is.

As for power outages, get a good UPS with a daisy chained backup. Running the machine in a cool place is a must.

I don't think there is any need to complicate matters with colocations etc, again, assuming speed and bandwidth are not issues. If speed and bandwidth are an issue and 99.99999% uptime in internet and power is a must, it is a whole new ballgame. In Chicago, I know all the right places to colocate a trading machine, but get your wallet out.

Finally, a second broker/datafeed and a backup cheap DSL line for emergencies is probably a must if you are doing your own redundancy.

nitro

#17     Jul 18, 2007
  8. allonred

allonred

Hey Nitro

You said you had a datacenter you could recommend there in Chicago. I think Savvis has a 5 9 SLA. They are a little out of the budget though. Is there anyone you would recommend that might might be a little more affordable. I like the T1 idea but if I can setup everything on a 1u with vmware(i know there is time issues with vms) it would save me from renting office space and all the overhead.

Thanks,
    red

#18     Jul 23, 2007
  9. nitro

nitro

The places I am talking about aren't just datacenters. These places have direct connections to all the exchanges and their niche are traders and institutions that are trying to shave fractions of a millisecond off their round trip times. In order to take advantage of that though I believe you have to be a member of the exchange(s). They are not general interenet connectivity companies.

If all you need is a colo at a general internet datacenter to pull data or execute through the internet, then Equinix or any of it's subvendors, e.g., http://www.servercentral.net/ is a good choice. Some of these places at Equinix even have L-NET connectivity to the MERC.

nitro

#19     Jul 23, 2007
  10. TickJob

TickJob

I contact http://www.vpsland.com they said there are many IB customers host their TWS there, how may of you here really do this?

But, then, I asked IB, IB said TWS does not work in Windows 2003 Server. Who is right, who is wrong?:confused:

#20     Aug 24, 2007