Reminisces of a Stock Operator

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Reaver, Dec 7, 2007.

1. So it was written by a journalist and was a "fictionalized biography of Livermore".

So was the content for the book actually garnered from Livermore himself through interviews, etc or did the author just make up all the advice and everything himself?

Just wondering. The book is pretty good, but I have wondered about that for a while....was this just what LeFevre made up about Livermore, including the "sage wisdom", or did Livermore actually offer input on the book?

That would be like me writing a book about Paul Tudor Jones and telling all this stuff about him and making up quotes and stuff he never said...or like if PitBull was written by some random journalist who had made up everything about Schwartz.

Sorry if the question sounds dense, but I never was able to figure it out.

2. Pekelo

Pekelo

"Of the eight books authored by Edwin Lefèvre his Reminiscences of a Stock Operator is considered a must-read classic by most anyone involved in the American financial community. The book began as a series of twelve articles published between 1922 and 1923 in The Saturday Evening Post. It is written as first-person fiction, telling the story of a professional stock trader on Wall Street. While published as fiction, it is generally accepted to be the biography of stock market whiz Jesse Livermore. "

My understanding is that LeFevre interviewed Jesse...

Online version:

http://www.mypivots.com/articles/booktext.aspx?bookname=Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

3. There's way too much wisdom that can only have come from a man who traded. Sorry not to have an official answer.

4. Good point.

5. Thanks for the answers, guys.

I started reading it for the 2nd or 3rd time last night and the question popped back into my head. lol

Weird question, but it was messing with my head.

Thanks again.

6. Released February 21, 2001

"HOW TO TRADE IN STOCKS" is being published by Traders Press as a sequel to the successful book "JESSE LIVERMORE: WORLD'S GREATEST STOCK TRADER". Originally written by the famous trader Jesse Livermore, it has been updated and provides more technical information on how to trade the stock market and win. The copyright was purchased from the Livermore estate and belongs to Richard Smitten. There is also a computer software program being written to allow people to actually practice, "Trading Like Jesse Livermore."

Makes one wonder, hmmm?

Don :)

7. Speculator Jesse L. Livermore files for bankruptcy in March (see 1929). His lawyer tells a congressional investigating committee that Livermore has been bankrupt four times but has always repaid his creditors 100 cents on the dollar (see 1940).

A Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) created by Congress June 6 limits bank credit for speculators and polices the securities industry. Boston-born Wall Street speculator (and erstwhile bootlegger) Joseph P. Kennedy is appointed in July to head the new commission despite opposition from New Dealers and from leading newspapers. Now 45 and the father of nine, Kennedy will hold the post for 431 days before being named to head the U.S. Maritime Commission. He asks Yale's Minnesota-born Sterling Professor of Law William O. (Orville) Douglas, 35, for a memorandum on the abuses of corporate reorganization and ways they can be remedied; Douglas produces an eight-volume report and will be appointed to the SEC in 1936 (see 1937; Williams Act, 1968).

Wall Street's Dow Jones Industrial Average closes December 31 at 104.04, up from 99.90 at the end of 1933.

Still wondering? Hmmm?

Don (waiting for the market to rally a bit, LOL).

8. hajimow

hajimow

You also know that he committed suicide at the end ? in 1940 I think.

#10     Dec 7, 2007