Reminiscences of Hard Times to Come

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Albert Cibiades, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Neodude

Neodude

In my case Poland, but I've heard same stories from friends who are German, Greek, Italian.

-Neo

#41     Dec 3, 2008
  2. I remember the stories a friend (now long gone) told me of when he was a 20-something kid during the Depression. He use to hitch on trains from place to place trying to pick up any odd job & figuring that anywhere had to be better than where he was. He was constantly hungry. - - He got back home before Xmas one year, and was pleased that his family was actually able to give him a gift that year. A single orange. - - He said that when he bit into it, that piece of fruit was the most wonderful thing he could imagine.
    He fought in the Pacific during WW2 in the Navy. A lot of recruits were pretty thin from having gone through the Depression.
    Of course the "Brother Can You Spare a Diime?" stories from the Great Depression have to do with a deflationary downturn. I wonder how things might be in a Weimer Germany hyper-inflationary setting - "Brother Can You Spare a Wheelbarrow- - - full of Greenbacks?" - - -

#42     Dec 4, 2008