Reminiscences of Hard Times to Come

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Albert Cibiades, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Neodude

Neodude

Man, I remember the same thing. I took a train ride and had to use the toilet. The damn thing was just a seat with a hole in it and you could see the tracks. The worst part of it was that it was cold and windy right up your arse and as a kid I was afraid I would fall thru and fall into my own shit, then get riden over.

-Neo

#11     Dec 2, 2008
  2. #12     Dec 2, 2008
  3. The largest expense in Californias budget is education. About 40% of the states income goes to this and liberals are always whining about how not enough money goes to education. 40%!!! Cut some of that...obviously education is not working as we cant balanace a budget here so why pay for it?

#13     Dec 2, 2008
  4. Your family will also learn to eat and like things that would make them gag now to think about it. My mother made breakfast eggs stretch using cow brains. Fried first, you'd think the brains were sausage. Only 39 cents a pound at your local hispanic grocer right now. Oh, and people will remember that Crisco is far cheaper than butter for frying. And you can reuse it.

#14     Dec 2, 2008
  5. Do you know what toilet paper costs? (It's a half-cent a sheet, paper towels are 1.5 cents each, tap water a quarter cent a gallon). You'll know and quote numbers like that soon to your family: "Use your fiungers and wash it off, Johnny! It's cheaper!"

#15     Dec 2, 2008
  6. For the newbies and unprofitable traders:

Learn a manual skill that is necessary in the hardest of times. If you never have to use it for that purpose, you will have something to teach your boys after you retire young from trading.

#16     Dec 2, 2008
  7. Thank you for posting, Infinity. You remind people that the greatest kindnesses come from hard times. My Appalachian grandmother used to shoot squirrels off the porch of her trailer with a single-shot 22 rifle. Just one scrawny one made a stew.

#17     Dec 2, 2008
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Even cheaper, shoot `em with a pellet gun. Don't get the ones that eat acorns all day - those taste the worst.

#18     Dec 2, 2008
  9. zdreg

zdreg

interesting post from a ... mod who moved the thread is the US becoming a bankrupt country from economics to chit chat.

#19     Dec 2, 2008
  10. LMeyers

LMeyers

As in the 1930's, a lot of 'Tent City' type slums are springing up everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnOOo6tRs8

What is alarming is that the problem is not limited to California and other "Housing Bubble" areas. There seems to be a serious lack of opportunity all across the land.

Had a finance professor once who had lived through the last Great Depression. He claimed to have seen people eating canned dogfood during those years.

#20     Dec 2, 2008