Reminder - Jim Rogers has been short investment banks for at least over a year

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by W4rl0ck, Sep 22, 2008.

1. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Still no comments from the Conspiracy people?

Hmmm.

#11     Sep 22, 2008
  2. I guess not: "Publisher: Random House (December 4, 2007)"

[​IMG]

#12     Sep 22, 2008
  3. Cutten

Cutten

The difference is his losing positions collectively tend not to lose that much, whereas his winners are frequently home runs. For example China he screwed up by not selling (although he sold all this other emerging market holdings - a great move), but he invested several years ago so is *still* up on that position despite the massacre this year. Short bonds has been a loser but not a huge loser. Yen has been a scratch and CHF is a mild winner. So on his "losing" portfolio you cited he is net profitable thanks to the near double on China since he put the trade on.

Now compare his winning positions - commodities up 300%+, short FNM up 99%, short investment banks up 50-99% depending on which he shorted, short C another homerun, short homebuilders must be up 50-75%.

Compare this to any standard portfolio performance over the last 2-3 years and really, how has Rogers done in comparison? How has he done compared to the typical hedge fund? Is there any investor or fund in the world that shorted FNM, investment banks, and homebuilders from the top to the present lows, and rode commodities for the whole boom to date?

#13     Sep 22, 2008
  4. Cutten

Cutten

How does that show when he bought China stocks?

#14     Sep 22, 2008
  5. I never said Rogers aggregate portfolio performance would be bad. My comments were in response to the notion that Jimbo hits one home run trade after another without ever losing on any trade.

#15     Sep 22, 2008
  6. Who cares when he bought? AFAIK he bought at the end of the 90s and added around 2200 in the Shanghai Composite Index this year.

Truth is he pumped China on Bloomberg and CNBC RIGHT AT THE PEAK, running his mouth how its not a bubble and the best investment right at the time of publishing his book.

#16     Sep 22, 2008
  7. Also because no one can verify where or what or when he trades.

#17     Sep 22, 2008
  8. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Darn that Bloomberg. :D

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aLr71mSZqOLI

The comments from Rogers, 65, come two days after he told investors at a conference in Nanjing not to ``give up'' on Chinese shares, which have made China the world's second worst performers this year. Rogers, who first started buying Chinese stocks in 1999, said he hadn't sold any of his holdings.

#18     Sep 22, 2008
  9. I know - it's only the world's tenth largest economy (depends on how and what you measure by) or something...

#19     Sep 22, 2008
  10. I don't buy anything from Brazil except gas in my tank. Their women's asses are too big, even if they do take it Greek.

#20     Sep 22, 2008