Remains of bread baked 14,400 years ago found in Jordan

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Jul 17, 2018.

1. This is not really a Health & Fitness topic, but I thought folks here might find it interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/17/health/bread-jordan-desert-intl/index.html

[​IMG]

An archeologist grinds club rush for the experimental production of flour.

(CNN)Archeologists have discovered the burnt remains of a flatbread baked 14,400 years ago, more than 4,000 years before the advent of agriculture.

The findings, excavated in northeastern Jordan's Black Desert, reveal the oldest direct evidence of bread. Twenty four bread-like discoveries were found at two fireplaces in a Natufian hunter-gatherer site known as Shubayqa 1.
    [​IMG]

One of the stone structures with a fireplace in the middle at the Shubayqa 1 site in Jordan's Black Desert.

"The presence of hundreds of charred food remains in the fireplaces from Shubayqa 1 is an exceptional find, and it has given us the chance to characterize 14,000-year-old food practices," said University of Copenhagen archeobotanist Amaia Arranz Otaegui, the first author of the report.
    [​IMG]

"So now we know that bread-like products were produced long before the development of farming," said Otaegui, who added that the bread production could have contributed to the agricultural revolution of the Neolithic period.
    The Neolithic flatbread -- known nowadays as pita or Arabic bread -- was made of domesticated cereals and club-rush tubers, according to the study released on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal.
    Prior to these findings, evidence of bread production was found in late Neolithic sites in Turkey and the Netherlands. The charred remains in Jordan are the first direct evidence that bread production preceded agriculture.
    [​IMG]

First author of the report Amaia Arranz-Otaegui with local assistant Ali Shokaiteer sampling cereals in Shubayqa.
    "Natufian hunter-gatherers are of particular interest to us because they lived through a transitional period when people became more sedentary and their diet began to change," said University of Copenhagen archeologist Tobias Richter, who led the excavations.
    The authors of the report noted that cereal-based foodstuffs were difficult to make. Hunter-gatherers may have considered them luxury foods "employed to impress invited guests and secure prestige for the hosts.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  2. So those gluten people have been annoying everyone for at least 14400 years :)

Frederick Foresight and Baron like this.
  3. I'd be more concerned about the best before date than the gluten content on this particular loaf.

Actually, I have no personal issues with gluten, and my understanding is that the issue is overblown in the popular press. But what is disconcerting to me is that I recently discovered I (now) have a sensitivity to eggs, which pisses me off to no end.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  4. My mom was told to cut out eggs after an allergy guy tested the whole family. I remember her reading my list of bad foods and thinking.. better not be eggs too, cow milk was my first food sensitivity mentioned and bad enough. :)

I once dated an Greek/Aussie girl who lived in rural Greece till she was 4. She had a problem with bread but would eat the old primitive wheat grains no problem.

5. I'm lactose intolerant, but I drink a fair amount of lactose-free milk every day. I know some people think it should be avoided regardless, but it is an important source of my daily protein.

6. That started with me about 10-12 years ago.
    I switched to egg whites only and haven’t had any issues since.
    Give it a shot

7. In a related story- McDonald’s food researchers studying 14,000 year old bread to unlock secret of longevity since their buns “only” last for 5 years.

8. Well the main argument against gluten is not that it is, was, and always was bad for you. It is that since the 1970s wheat and its gluten proteins have been genetically modified to a much stronger strain which is what causes so many problems with people (which most likely does not occur when eating ancient style grains).

9. Before whole eggs became fashionable again in the medical community, I used to eat about 2 dozen egg whites or so a week. I don't recall any issues. When I started eating whole eggs in very modest quantities, I don't recall any issues. As I started eating more whole eggs, I developed red patches on my face. I didn't make the connection right away. Then when I started having one whole egg a day, the connection became in-my-face obvious.

So I avoided all eggs for about 2 weeks and my skin condition began to noticeably resolve. I then had 2 egg whites and my skin flared up again. Modestly, but nonetheless. And so, long story short, I would do well to avoid eggs in their entirety. Unfortunately. There's more to the story, but that's the sum and substance of it. I was told by someone that allergies can come and go, but usually when they present in adulthood they stay.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it looks to be a no-go for me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  10. Assuming that is the case, I still think a lot people are blowing it out of proportion. I have a couple of friends who had no problems with gluten until it became the "in" thing to have a sensitivity to it.

#10     Jul 18, 2018