religion slowly dying in america. 32% now non religious. gallup poll

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Apr 4, 2012.

1. "There is something feeble and a little contemptable about a man who cannot
    face the perils of life without the help of comfortable myths. Almost
    inevitably some part of him is aware that they are myths and that he believes
    them only because they are comforting. But he dare not face this thought!
    Moreover, since he is aware, however dimly, that his opinions are not real,
    he becomes furious when they are disputed."
    [Bertrand Russell, "Human Society in Ethics and Politics"]

#11     Apr 4, 2012
  2. Brass

Brass

Tell me about it! Your arguments are messing with the guy's "eternal life."

Seems like jem et al are depending on majority opinion to assuage their fears of mortality.

#12     Apr 4, 2012
  3. jem

jem

oh look the zealout fundamentalist nothinker and his faux shrink sock puppet talking to himself. I wonder if he is self aware enough to see the irony.

#13     Apr 4, 2012
  4. stu

stu

I noticed the following from Baron no less, (PBUH!) in another thread, in response to a different poster who, like you Jem, does not hold an argument, but constantly resorts to making crude, infantile remarks.
    It may or may not apply of course, but it's certainly relevant.

I also noticed up until recent years, in general , it was always 15%-20% tops of Americans who were judged to be non-religious. In recent times the figure has, as Free Thinker points out, risen sharply, and these days it's broadly reported to be 30% plus.

Possibly thanks to the pathetic way in which angry and abusive people like you, who can't form a coherent argument themselves seem to think they have some sort of divine warrant to go trolling around internet boards insulting everyone in the name of religion .

I suppose you should keep up the good work really and let's see if it can get to an even more sensible 40% or 50% .

#14     Apr 4, 2012
  5. In 1969 the high school graduation rate was 77%. Today its about 60% nationwide.

Yep! Looks like education is slowly winning!

(maybe just a coincidence, but did you notice that there is about a 30% difference between those graduation rates?)

#15     Apr 4, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

The Federal Department of "Education" started business in...1979 I believe it was.

#16     Apr 4, 2012
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

From another thread.

Easter celebration in Spain.

Those silly Spaniards.

[​IMG]

#17     Apr 4, 2012
  8. The more advanced nations of Europe are further along with this trend. The more culturally advanced areas of the US are further along. And then you have the middle and southern areas of the US who seem to be taking longer to educate.

#18     Apr 4, 2012
  9. Yep, it went cabinet level in 1979. It was the office of education before that, I believe. But still..the highest graduation rates came in 1969, 10 years before the US dept of education was started.

Coincidently, we've never walked on the moon since. Maybe we dont have smart enough people to fly their anymore.

#19     Apr 4, 2012
  10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

He is overly concerned with the beliefs of others which is a liberal attribute. Why would he be in such a twist over what other people believe or don't believe?

Given his vocation of truck driving it might be a good idea for him to focus on his own life and his own decisions.

Something went wrong in his life somewhere leaving him without the education or ability to become a professional so he has focused his resentment on others when it should be directly pointed at himself. Instead of acknowledging that he has botched his own life he has decided that the religious beliefs held by his neighbors is the root of all of his problems. It is deflection, a device to avoid responsibility.

I am not religious, it just wasn't part of my upbringing. I've been inside of a church perhaps 3 times, all for weddings. Yet I respect people if they believe and recognize the good things that sometimes come from religion like charity and other positive things. Yeah, I see certain religions murdering people over their beliefs but I think that people who are predisposed to murder are going to do that whether it is justified by their religion or not.

I have problems and have made big mistakes too but I don't deflect blame for the decisions I've made that brought those problems upon me. I take responsibility and try to figure out how to change my own behavior to improve my life. If you constantly blame others for your problems your chances of correcting them are exactly zero and you end up driving a truck for a living.

Freethinker is a loser and the central theme of his posts is that he isn't to blame, all of you who believe in God are to blame. He should take a look at himself, take responsibility for his decisions and make the necessary changes to get himself out from behind the steering wheel of a truck.

#20     Apr 4, 2012