Reliability -- Dell vs. HP vs. Lenovo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chanelops, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for a workstation to replace my XP machine. (yeah, I know, I should have done this a while ago -- but I don't think I'm the only procrastinator!) Anyhow, I need something fast, high end i7 or low end Xeon, lots of RAM, RAID SSD's, etc. In addition to trading, I use it to do extensive backtesting and model development, and it's common to have all the cores running at a high CPU usage for hours at a time.

For various reasons, I do NOT want to build my own, and yes, I realize that means I will be paying more.

I'm thinking the three main suppliers that can give me the level of performance I need, combined with good reliability, are Dell, HP, and Lenovo. (although I'm open to other suggestions)

So my question is what experience folks have had with the mid-to-high ($3K to $4K) range of machines from these manufacturers, specially concerning reliability. Is there one brand I should focus on, or are they all equally reliable? (or unreliable, as the case may be!)

Thanks for any inputs.

2. Likely all (HP, Dell, Lenovo) are equally reliable in workstation class machines. Dells, however, have been consistently lower cost.

I have only Dell Precisions and have been a big fan of theirs for more than 10 years. Technical Support for the Precision Line is different from their consumer models... and is excellent! Suggest looking on Dell's Outlet site to save even more $$.... same 3-yr warranty as retail purchase.

3. You'll prob want to scratch Lenovo off the list as they don't support Xeon/ECC.

4. Thanks for the replies.

Scat, going with Dell Outlet means that I give up the ability to configure the machine like I want it, right? So it seems it's just a matter of finding one there that is close enough to my desired specs and going with it, correct? Also, what does "certified refurbished" mean? Could this be a new machine that was ordered by mistake, or is it a machine that had issues and someone returned, or something else?

Drownpruf - thanks for the heads-up re Lenovo.

5. I've owned all 3 brands and dealt with sales & support from all 3 brands. I've purchased >50 for myself and >200 for others.

I own about (whose counting) 30 computers presently. We do highly complex algorithms but not for trading. The main box used for algorithms is custom built by me. Then we have workstations, pc's in machines, instruments, etc.

If I were going to purchase a computer today it would come from Dell hands down. Looking back Dell is by far the company whose products result in the fewest problems and the most satisfying problem resolution if there ever is a concern. But don't go buy something from them as a consumer. Use Dell Small Business. Even if you don't have a company you can use your name as company name. This gets you into business class sales & support for the life of the computer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

6. gaj

gaj

dell precision = awesome.

7. Yes and no.

True, all Dell Precisions in a model will have the same mobo (a good thing for a few reasons). But there will be some choice of CPU, amount of RAM, drives + peripheral add-ons.

If you buy from Outlet, you'll have to find one that matches your need as much as possible and work from there. Outlet machines are already boxed up and ready to ship... no alterations allowed before shipping.

I talked to Dell one time about Outlet machines. They said that there are about a half-dozen reasons a machine is offered through Outlet. Some just because they were ordered but delivery wasn't taken. Regardless of the reason, you get the same full warranty (3-years) as one purchased retail. Some are offered as "Scratch and Dent" and you get an additional $60-$100 off for that. One of the best deals I ever got included S&D.... was a T3400 with a scratch about the length of a thumbnail in the black paint along the top of the metal part of the case. No biggie, but I covered the scratch with black Magic Marker, and you would never see the cover up unless you knew to look for it. In any case, you have 21-days to check out the computer after you receive it and return for full refund, including shipping, if not satisfied.

If you go with Dell, I suggest Precision T3600 with Xeon E5-1620, CPU or higher, 6-8GB RAM, and W7. I've seen some of those at times for around $850. Generally no need to spend "$3-$4K" on a trading rig.

8. Really, Lenovo no Xeon , no Ecc? My 2 year old E30 has Xeon 1230 and 12mb Ram---Ecc. For what it's worth, it came with 3yr warranty. Support is somewhat an adventure with it handled by IBM. But on an upnote, answers are by people with a good command of the English language. Bought new on Fleabay for song. Never owned a Dell but have owned a number of HP workstation and have had 0 problems.
    Look at a refurb HP Z420--good machine with lots of possibilities for expansion. Can be had at a reasonable price if you shop.

9. Trader13

Trader13

I prefer Dell because 1) they are so popular that you can easily find a lot of support info in online forums, YouTube DIY videos, etc., and 2) they offer an extended warranty with in-home support (they will send a tech to your home to fix problems they can't solve over the phone).

10. Is that true? I would be willing to bet that it's cheaper to have somebody else build it, even leaving out the cost of labor. You wouldn't try to build a car by buying each part separately at retail prices, would you?

#10     Apr 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.