Relative Strength Concept, Robert Levy

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by ZBZB, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ZBZB

ZBZB

Anyone have a pdf of this book that is $430 on amazon? Thanks for any info on tracking it down at a reasonable price.

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

3. dozu888

dozu888

useless bs.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

an open mind, what a thing of beauty.

taowave and tommcginnis like this.
  5. comagnum

comagnum

That book was written in 1968 when the big main-frame computers were being used for the first time ever to look at stock performance. These days you can do more RS studies in 5 minutes than the author Levy could have done in a year back in 1968.

The book is extremely outdated know since it has been proven in academia that RS & momentum strategies provide superior performance. In 1968 the book was probably cutting edge, in this era it is obsolete.

http://carlsonwm.com/wp-content/upl...-Portfolio-Management-John-Lewis-Jan-2012.pdf

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Nobert and drm7 like this.
  6. dozu888

dozu888

see the post above...

an open mind, what a thing of beauty.

Orbiter likes this.
  7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Orbiter and taowave like this.
  8. ZBZB

ZBZB

I would like to read the book to form my own opinion. It is often mentioned by the best performing stock traders like Minivini, Zangner and Ryan as an influence. Anyone live near one of the Universities on the worldcat link and can scan it to pdf?

9. gaussian

gaussian

You need to be careful with old technical analysis books. The information in them is based on old data - particularly old data where information transfer wasn't instant and HFTs weren't front running everyone (having a chart printer was considered edge!) Market conditions have fundamentally changed. Buy Market Wizards and The New Market Wizards. Even in The New Market Wizards veritable gods of trading discuss how different the markets are from when they started, and how it is sometimes far more difficult to find a consistent edge.

I have Kaufman's Trading Systems book. I've ran numerous backtests on the discussed strategies (many of them performing extremely well in the 60s, 70s, and 80s) and exactly 0 of them produced a profit in today's market going back 15 years. This isn't a mark against Kaufman. It's a great book for ideas. However, it suffices to say systems that worked then will not work now. Technical analysis, unlike value-based analysis, changes dramatically based on present market conditions (and this is where majority of technical analysis' criticism is derived from).

Don't waste your time. I can't find any third party evaluation of Minivini, or Zanger, and I have no idea who "Ryan" is. I think I am safe saying these people are Tim Sykes level "best performing". I would not take the advice of anyone who has not had independent third party evaluation of their trading record going back a decade or more. They are more likely to be hacks, lucky hacks, or frauds. If there is one thing trading, especially technical trading, has is a veritable smorgasbord of frauds. You should be on guard lest you end up being suckered into a $6000 seminar on drawing lines on charts.

A lack of verified trading record and a suspiciously vague "I'm very successful so believe me" wikipedia is usually a good litmus test for fraud.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Orbiter, SimpleMeLike and Heydrrich like this.
  10. ZBZB

ZBZB

I read a book that mentions or credits another book, I find that book and read it to educate myself.

I have asked someone in Chicago to scan it to pdf. I am in London where there is no copy. Anybody who likes this post will be sent a pdf copy by the forums private message facility.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    #10     Nov 9, 2019
    Phoenix00, Rickms, Mckennon and 6 others like this.