relationship between price and orders

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by mute9003, May 22, 2024.

1. mute9003

mute9003

can anyone explain the mechanics behind the price on chart and how order book and time&sales is behaving?

i noticed that price on chart moves before the orders show up on tape(webull)
    price on chart jumps up or down and then a roll of orders scroll through in time&salesjust a moment after.

another thing i dont get is "pegy" for example.
    im watching it creep up slowly but the time&sales is red and order book is also red.
    where is the upward movement coming from if everything is mostly red?
    is this some kind of market manipulation that i dont know about yet?

2. mute9003

mute9003

and please if you dont know then skip this post. stop derailing posts with nonsense.

3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

mute9003- I'm not sure I understand the question. Based purely on " relationship between price and orders," The order gets sent, It either posts or pairs with another order on the other side. If it trades, it hits time & sales. The bars on the chart are populated by the sales. If your trading software has any lags between charts and time & sales- that would create confusion. Below is a 1 Minute chart of AAPL, just market hours, and you can see the last sale on the chart and time and sales match.
    upload_2024-5-22_12-19-37.png

4. mute9003

mute9003

in the videos i always see that time/sales supposed the be the most responsive between those 3
    but that doesnt seem to be the case in webull
    I was just wondering if thats platform issue or its how market data is sent to the platform

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would say you need to ask them why Time and Sales and the Charts are not in sync. It might be a data limitation for a mobile.

EdgeHunter likes this.
  6. mute9003

mute9003

So the time and sales should be updating before the chart then?
    forgot to mention
    This is when looking at 1 second chart on webull not one minute.

for example. The chart already drew a big green bar and then the time/sales roll went through a moment later with all the green orders

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Same time, same data. If delayed, it is their software or the data feed. You are dealing with a free mobile app with free commissions. You can't expect the same performance as Lightspeed on a Broadband connection like in the screenshot I showed you.

Leob and Lou Friedman like this.
  8. mute9003

mute9003

Its on their desktop app. I also have very good internet.
    What should i ask them when contacting tech support?

9. schizo

schizo

Don't mean to cut in between you two, but they ALL should move simultaneously, whether that's chart, T&S, Footprint or Level2. If not, you shouldn't be using that broker for charts and whatnot. Get your own data vendor.

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Bingo!

#10     May 22, 2024