Regular hours limit orders on IB that will participate in the opening cross

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by fbell50, Jul 25, 2006.

1. mats

mats

flbum,

i also have the experience that a smart limit order through TWS remains active in the regular trading hours but it will not participate in the opening cross. (only a limit on open will participate).

#51     Oct 31, 2006
  2. I can't speak to the technical aspects of your particular order execution problem, but I have also encountered the type of communication problems you found, which sometimes prevent or delay bug fixes or necessary optimizations to the extremely critical function of order execution. I think you should try PMing IBSoft, with respect to the technical order execution aspects of your findings, and IBj, with respect to the related customer service and communication difficulties you encountered. I think they want to improve things, but that sometimes, lower levels of the bureaucracy shield them from the info they need in order to recognize specific situations calling for their involvement.

#52     Oct 31, 2006
  3. fbell50

fbell50

flbum - can you post details of the order? My sales rep, who has been addressing this for me, just told me that Nasdaq Regular hours limit orders that will participate in the opening cross should be working using SMART routing. This assumes that the stock has been implemented in their systems integration. According to the Nasdaq Trader web site, the last Nasdaq stocks were implemented on 10/30.

He asked me to let him know if it is not working. If you can give me details I'll pass it on to him.

#53     Oct 31, 2006
  4. fbell50

fbell50

My sales rep tested it this morning with a few orders and confirmed that it does not work. He talked to one of their programmers and "he said that he would have to make a couple of changes to IB's exchange connection configuration. He said it would take a few days...".

So IB is working on it. I'll post here when my sales rep says it is working.

#54     Nov 2, 2006
  5. flbum

flbum

Been out of town for a few days... That sounds great fbell50. I'm glad to see that this problem is getting fixed. You had better luck than I did getting to the right people at IB. Cudos! :)

#55     Nov 2, 2006
  6. PeSt2000

PeSt2000

Any news regarding this IB problem??

#56     Nov 30, 2006
  7. i often participate in auctions and openin' cross and always use mkt orders trough ib. 'till now i ALWAYS got a better price even when trade went my way.

#57     Nov 30, 2006
  8. fbell50

fbell50

In an email dated 11/14 my sales rep said 'IB tech department says the below change should take place "mid next week"'. Since that was Thanksgiving week I'd say the change should have been done, but since I've been dealing with a meltdown of my primary system I haven't checked it out.

I did submit one eligible order which I don't think was handled correctly, but I didn't watch it closely enough to see if it was routed correctly pre-open. I'll be testing it shortly.

#58     Nov 30, 2006
  9. fbell50

fbell50

The change was implemented effective 12/13/06. I placed two RTH limit orders at 9:10 am under Smart and they were immediately routed to Island. I was expecting to see a routing to Supersoes so I was concerned that they were active in the pre-open trading, but my sales rep confirmed with the developer that they were not. The developer said that the order would participate in the opening cross and then be handled as a normal Smart limit order. Since Island, Brut, & Supersoes are now integrated I guess you can assume that Island and Supersoes are interchangeable, or perhaps Supersoes is now obsolete.

I haven't actually had an order execute on the opening cross which will be the true confirmation.

#59     Dec 13, 2006
  10. flbum

flbum

That's great news! Thanks for keeping us posted.

#60     Dec 13, 2006