Regreassion to the Meme

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe Doaks, Oct 4, 2012.

1. I do so love rigidly and strictly literal people like that. Makes my job here easier. Resident Crank in training. For when the current Resident Crank croaks.

#21     Oct 5, 2012
  2. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

For what it's worth - I'm not calling you a crank - you haven't shown anything in any detail to be crank worthy. My point is that making up terms where perfectly good terms already exist is crank-like behavior.

In anycase, mean in statistics isn't always the arithmetic average. It could also mean central-tendency, if you want to think of that way.

Whereas, the 1st definition of meme (according to merriam-webster) is "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture" (ie, lolcat is an internet meme), which isn't exactly what you want, right?

#22     Oct 5, 2012
  3. Dear Croaky Crank,

Is the sum of the memes the meme of the sums?

Is volume that waits priced on a verge?

Enquiring minds need to to know.

Regards,
    Literally.

#23     Oct 5, 2012
  4. I have made my money for the day, so I have time to chime in here with an explanatory explicating explanation. Professor Doaks is a very poor advocate for his mad inventions. He is, after all, a lowly adjunct visiting associate professor (untenured) of special needs instruction and cybernetics at a dreary little backwater community college where they don't pay him enough for him to make the effort to be understood. Where you and I perceive random correlations, Doaks feverishly seizes on causality. In his initial post he presented a correlation which becomes more and more significant to him when the correlation becomes anti-correlation, and then reasserts itself like two mismatched lovers doomed to make a bad marriage and bicker 'til death do them part. What I don't understand, however, is why the hell he consistently makes money trading shit ideas like that.

#24     Oct 5, 2012
  5. Doaks asked me to answer your criticisms for him, as he had to scurry off to a defend himself before a community college board of inquiry into allegations that he behaved inappropriately with a female special needs student he was tutoring (admittedly fraudulently) in daytrading.

Doaks is well grounded in moment theory, so much so that he invents theories of the moment. He does mean meme and not does not meme mean, because his idea would flash like wildfire through the trading community if it had any validity whatsoever. See my post on mistaking random correlation for causality.

#25     Oct 5, 2012
  6. It’s the practical effect of the ingenious Murphy’s law inverter transducer – a deviously cunning system whereby the anti-correlations, (by no fault of their own) receive the worst most unexpected fill slippages, hopelessly unfortunate data feed outages, exchange lock outs, news event halts, combined with the fattest of finger errors. The upshot of which, of course, is that he’s killin it! (and beating PWAV to boot).

#26     Oct 5, 2012
  7. It is no easy matter to explain what Doaks means when he does not understand it himself. As near as I can surmise, however, Doaks flashed on the meme that if price regresses to VWAP, as is widely, and in my opinion erroneously, believed, why would not volume regress to the PWAV? His chart seems to suggest that such is the case, but then the same appears to be true with respect to price and VWAP. In any event, I myself do not intend to trade either discursions or regressions, as I have more reliable means and memes for predicting price action based on the tape. But I assure you that Doaks will find someone who believes him and will want to lease the code. It is not for nothing that he teaches fat well-to-do old ladies daytrading after hours in the community college remote parking lot.

#27     Oct 5, 2012
  8. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

"Doaks is well grounded in moment theory, so much so that he invents theories of the moment." <-

ha... some might say he IS a moment generating function?

Perhaps you can put him through the check list I put up at: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=250699

#28     Oct 5, 2012
  9. * Results just in suggest an association between causality and correlation.

#29     Oct 5, 2012
  10. Quite so. I snuck a peek at his trade blotter for the morning and he made an absolutely brilliant random entry trade lasting exactly 123 seconds. The reward to risk for scalps like that is appallingly dreadful, but I cannot convince him to stop. He also plays the nickel slots on indian reservations when a fat old lady on a serious losing streak gets up in disgust to go get a new pack of smokes. He claims the seat is now hot, not accepting my rational explanation that a fat ass sat on it for over two hours. The prick wins at that, too.

#30     Oct 5, 2012