Regarding the Existence or Absence of God

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rs7, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD MOTHER HUBBARD WENT TO THE 'CUBBARD' TO GET HER DOG A BONE,

WHEN SHE BENT OVER ROVER TOOK OVER.....

SHE GOT A BONE OF HER OWN! EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

#51     Aug 29, 2002
  2. Thought everyone might find the following as fascinating as I did.

In April 2002, there was a speech given at Yale Univ. by a very esteemed scientist from Oxford Univ. Using Bayes's theorem, he and other scientists have concluded based on verifiable evidence that:

"Given e and k, h is true if and only if c is true. The probability of h given e and k is .97"

"In plain english, the probability of the Resurrection (of Jesus) comes out to be a whopping 97 percent."

#52     Aug 29, 2002
  3. I also like what stockerup said in another thread:

#53     Aug 29, 2002
  4. Long-Way-To-Go

08-30-02 04:18 AM

I also like what stockerup said in another thread:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by stockerup
    Faster,

Sounds like you've got all your kitties in a row.

If you're so sure about it, then you've got nothing to worry about.
    If you're wrong-- well, you've got a real awakening coming.

The real question is which way are you willing to play the probability?

Don't work that way.

You can't play the probability because belief, ie true genuine faith is the necessary ingredient not feigned belief in an attempt to skirt the spirit of The Word because you are frightened of the [possible consequences of non-belief.

Be a man and stand up for THE REAL TRUTH ---NOTHINGNESS awaits you

for an eternity.

--------nothing more :-/

-------nothing less :-/

#54     Aug 29, 2002
  5. SE,

if you read my after death explanation in this thread, are we in agreement? just curious..

#55     Aug 30, 2002
  6. >>NOTHINGNESS awaits you for an eternity

Not me. Nor does it have to for you.

>>You can't play the probability because belief,
    >>ie true genuine faith is the necessary ingredient
    >>not feigned belief in an attempt to skirt the spirit
    >>of The Word because you are frightened of the
    >>[possible consequences of non-belief.

I didn't say this was what or why I believed. I'm not feigning my belief. I just posted this because when many people hear this for the first time, a light bulb goes off over their head and they start really thinking about the subject. If they are interested, they will usually start looking into the matter more. Many people really just blow off the belief in God and His Son Jesus without ever really thinking about it for themselves. Those that have really searched their soul/brain and come to a conclusion will usually react much differently than those who have never really thought about this subject.

#56     Aug 30, 2002
  7. to put it bluntly,

WISHFUL THINKING.

#57     Aug 30, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

Faster,

You said it better this way [quoting Protrader1:]

"candle, u no what is an illusion??? LIFE! life is an illusion, almost a cruel joke. we learn, we feel, we think, we mourn, we love, we believe...and 4 what?? we r here but 4 a brief second then poof...gOne 4 ever. nothing left. no consciousness, no sentience, NOTHING! GONE! never to be seen or heard from again. the universe is so unfeeling, so colddd. nothing matters. we shall all B gone soon enuf. i am not a religous man, i have no belief in afterlife, you C, i am a man of reason. A man of science. Not a foolish dreamer of gawds and ghosts. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! another shot......... thank gawd 4 tequila...."

nitro :D

#58     Aug 30, 2002
  9. rs7

rs7

Faster, I never implied OTHER than you were a good soul. Just because I busted on you in fun...how would that make you believe I thought otherwise? I tried to have a little fun at your expense, but hey, I knew you could take it like a man. You at least have a sense of humor about yourself.

GG...Yeah, I will always stay neutral about religion. I think it is a personal thing, and we all have our own personal way of dealing with whatever we believe in. Arguing about it is senseless. Never seems to accomplish anything other than ill will. Or worse, as the world has seen repeatedly for the past 6000 or so years. Or longer.

Darkhorse. I am relieved you did not call me a "double doody head". The truth is, I have been thoroughly evaluated and it has been rather objectively concluded that I am merely a 1 and 3/8 doodyhead. So really that ain't bad I guess. Puts me under the limit anyway.

Now, having cleared all this up, I have yet to hear anyone agree or disagree if trading is detrimental to one's mind. But having read what is posted here so far, I think my theory has been validated, and trading is a dangerous game.

How else would we get to be so strange collectively? OR, is it just that strange people choose trading? Chicken or egg kind of thing I guess.

:)RS6.325

#59     Aug 30, 2002
  10. "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him."
    -Voltaire

"Religion is the idol of the mob; it adores everything it does not understand."
    -Frederick the Great

"I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows a lack of confidence."
    -Doug McLeod

#60     Aug 30, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.