Reformating your hard disk many times, harm your system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nana Trader, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Does it defrage all my applications like trading software
    chats,... and hardware driveres update...or just windows OS files?

#11     Nov 22, 2003
  2. I have all my PCs and notebook IBM brands, and it comes
    with many utility and product support application, when you
    purchase it first day. If i reformat then all those will be cleaned
    and it's up to me to install them again.

So, you are saying no physical damage, which i was more concerned about. Thank for in-depth and clear answer

#12     Nov 22, 2003
  3. bigbear

bigbear

reformat your drive at least twice a year. the fastest and best your computer will run is after a fresh wiping of the harddrive.

defragging and basic maintenance helps inbetween.

just have a good backup plan for all your data.

#13     Nov 22, 2003
  4. Geez, how much software are you constantly installing and uninstalling?

Just run the disk defrag periodically and maybe use a Registry cleanup utility. Wiping and reinstalling the OS is definitely NOT necessary and buys you nothing over just doing a little basic housekeeping.

Think of all your installing and uninstalling like opening a bunch of Christmas presents throughout the year - you wouldn't just leave the wrapping paper and ribbons lying around on the floor would you?

You'd pick it up and throw it away - NOT level the house and build a new one.

From the sound of it, the amount of messing around with installing and uninstalling software that you're doing is way more of a cluttering effect than a normal PC user would ever encounter (hence the reason an average PC user can often get away without ever defraging their drive).

Your CPU isn't hydraulic - there's no "pressure" or "strain" on it from doing work like defraging - if it were, all that install/uninstall that you're doing would have blown a gasket by now :)

Might be time to get a couple tutorial disks or books on computers though and at least aquaint yourself with the basics.

Good luck.

#14     Nov 23, 2003
  5. If you feel you will need to reformat to stay clean ....

why not use 2 hard drives --- keep the OS on one and the other stuff on the second - mainly all the crap we download, intentionally or not from web browsing, downloading freeware, etc.

The second disk can be reformated without worrying about the hassles of reloading Windows.

I also think a good registry tool is a must.

#15     Nov 23, 2003
  6. ROFLMAO!!! :p :p :p

#16     Nov 23, 2003
  7. klev

klev

But then you gonna have to go through the pain of reinstalling OS and all of your applications ...

#17     Nov 23, 2003
  8. no offense nana .. you're my bud from diet thread! ... :)

#18     Nov 23, 2003
  9. Pain???

On a weekend, you simply spend the time to do it. There is no pain involved, no heavy lifting, no sweating, no muscle strain, etc.

In between loading the software, you could even do something else....assuming one is evolved enough to multi task.

Or, just hire someone to do it for you. I assume most traders who are making money can afford an IT professional's fees.

#19     Nov 23, 2003
  10. Are you kidding it's a major PIA!

#20     Nov 23, 2003