RefcoFX vs. Oanda

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by eagerbeaver, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I not sure that refco has all the bucket shop characteristics but I am pretty sure that they provide all the liquidity internally. I will ask you since you have traded with them although I think I know the answer; are you allowed to split the spread?

#11     Sep 28, 2005
  2. This discussion (and thanks for everyone's response) raises the big question, the one that always seems to loom in the background when spot currency is discussed...

Is retail FX a giant con?

Watching these pairs, they just don't "act" like liquid markets I've come to know -- i.e., the s&p, etc. Long periods of listless fibrillation, punctuated by stop-running (or whatever) "haystacks"

The only reason I'd even consider Forex is because I seem to have developed a directional trading model of some promise, but I don't have time to trade during normal east-coast business hours.

I don't like the fact that, in Forex,spreads are whatever the broker sez they are,

Ok, so I guess the question is, if one is to trade Forex, who are the honest ECN brokers. Basicallty, IB? So, IB or forget it?

As for currency futures -- we run into the 9-5(ish) issue, don't we? For those of us who work a "normal" day. any thoughts?

#12     Sep 28, 2005
  3. -Ok, so I guess the question is, if one is to trade Forex, who are the honest ECN brokers. Basicallty, IB? So, IB or forget it?-

hotspotFX also could be "honest" broker ...

-As for currency futures -- we run into the 9-5(ish) issue, don't we? For those of us who work a "normal" day. any thoughts?-

for your info ... currency futures trade almost round the clock 24 / 7

#13     Sep 28, 2005
  4. Oanda is not an ECN model but they ARE honest

#14     Sep 28, 2005
  5. tomcole

tomcole

Has anyone ever seen Oanda balance sheet?

#15     Sep 28, 2005
  6. Why would you want to see that ?

A major venture capital firm just invested 17 million $ in
    Oanda, they will have checked the balance sheet.:D

#16     Sep 28, 2005
  7. tomcole

tomcole

Generally, investors get different legal standing or contracts than customers.

If you're a general unsecured creditor of anyone, I think its a good idea to understand their balance sheet. In my experience, all legitimate trading houses will send you audited statements upon request or post them to their website. I dont think I saw one on Oanda's website, but if its there, please post a link. Thanks.

#17     Sep 28, 2005
  8. Remiraz

Remiraz

if its Ref vs Oanda then its Oanda by a HUGEEEEEEEE margin.

#18     Sep 28, 2005

9. I'm an idiot. Really? What's the "round-the-clock" liquidity like? Why would anyone trade the unregulated Wild-West spot-market if they can trade the regulated futures market?

#19     Sep 28, 2005
  10. I'm not sure of the term "split the spread" and will check more into it later, but the quick answer would be no.

I get the quoted sell and buy at the quoted buy. If the spread is 3 pips, I'm down 3 pips off the bat.

#20     Sep 28, 2005