Reducing Eyestrain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DataCruncher, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Press " Prt Scr " button on top of your keyboard above Insert/Home buttons.

Open Microsoft Pain, go to Edit / File and click on Paste.

save the file to a folder that you can easily access.

when you write/post a message here, below you have an option to " attach file" click on browse, find the file, click on it, and thats it...submit reply.

#11     Mar 23, 2009
  2. Specterx

Specterx

Personally I find black backgrounds to be easily the best. I can feel my eyes relax when I flip from a light background (like ET) to a black chart, and I also have darkish desktop backgrounds. I use greyish-blue for price bars, a sort of tan for most lines and such and a soft orange for others.

#12     Mar 23, 2009
  3. I made a screenshot and saved the file, but I am not sure what screenshot looks like, because I cannot read the file without Microsoft Word. When I try to open the file, I get a dialog box asking for information about the program that came as a trial but I never bought. I am hestitant to upload a file that I have not seen. I made the screenshot using Microsoft Works, but this computer does not have Microsoft Word as I use an Apple for most of my word processing and picture files.

#13     Mar 23, 2009
  4. Don't set the brightness of your monitor too high. Most monitors are too bright by default.

#14     Mar 23, 2009
  5. Keep backgrounds white, grey, off white, etc. Just like what you see in magazines, newspapers and most websites.

While black background is cool it does a number on your eyes.

I was concerned as well about this and that's what the eye doc told me.

#15     Mar 23, 2009
  6. #16     Mar 25, 2009
  7. Example chart

#17     Mar 25, 2009
  8. opt789

opt789

I was wondering that myself. I found this article that seems to say they are not worth it:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4282190.html
    When you read the comments below it, I would not be surprised if employees of the company are the ones saying they are great. They seem to overhype their marketing. Computer eye strain is a real issue but I think the only thing you can do it go to a good eye doctor and find what works for you since everyone has different computer environments, different symptoms, and different levels of vision problems.

#18     Mar 25, 2009
  9. gkishot

gkishot

Make sure you have a good lighting in your room.

#19     Mar 25, 2009
  10. I find the opposite to be the case - charts with black backgrounds are much easier on my eyes.

I find the effect of white backgrounds similar to reading a magazine outside in direct sunlight - the glare just hurts.

In any case the best adjustment I've found is turning down the brightness on the monitors to basically as low as they can go.

- as a side note, I have a friend with a degenerative eye disorder that affects the macular, and has drastically reduced the level of detail he can see. To read books he has a special viewing device that the book is placed into, and it magnifies the image of the book onto a large screen - however it also inverts the colours so the text becomes white on a black background, as apparently he finds this must clearer to read. I find this to be understandable as it makes sense to just have your eyes receive photons from the parts you want to see rather than be flooded with photons from the background for you then to try and make out the gaps in between.

#20     Mar 25, 2009