REDI Plus problems

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tradestox, Jun 12, 2002.

1. frezza

frezza

I don't know about anyone else but I still see recurring slowness, locking up, and bad quotes throughout the week (at various times of day but mostly during the opening and close). And my machine is dual processor with a gig of RAM.

#11     Sep 6, 2002
  2. If REDI+ is still slow, some possible problems may include the Bandwidth of your connection. Depending on how many traders at your location, you may need xtra bandwidth. REDI+ severs could be overloaded, so I would suggest your group is but on another server and have problems diagnosed by techs . frezza ,
    Where are you trading? (You can send me a private e-mail). It's
    up to introducing brokers to work with REDI+ to solve and correct problems. We can solve 95% of problems in house.

Gene Weissman
    Lieber & Weissman Sec., LLC
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#12     Sep 6, 2002
  3. SLK refuses to recompile REDI+ with the latest MFC's and other Pentium specific instruction extension compilers.

Recommendations on a minimum configuration should start at 1Ghz using a minimum 200Mhz+ Bus speed, along with a minimum 384MB, preferrably 512MB or larger, so that the application can "possibly" operate in memory.

Review with your NetAdmin special configuration to increase VRAM and the system swap file size from the standard/minimum to over 512MB (which is virtual, not real memory). This will allow this "page intensive" top heavy front end software application / boondogle to swap without over laying pages in the swap file. Normally, when one is being stepped on, or at risk, the entire machine / OpSys (operating system) pauses to handle this "system instability". Win2000/XP Pro handles this far better than Win95/98/ME/XP.

Consider offloading to another machine, with its own ISP connection, any browsers, instant messengers or email client applications. Consider using your primary machine exclusively for REDI+ software with NO OTHER application running.

Fat clients, are what huge software applications are called. RediPlus is about as fat as you can get; even the resource intensive database applications (both server version and client versions) have recompiled their footprints into thin applications. Both Sybase, Oracle, IBM's UDP/DB2 and SQL Server/Microsoft. Each of these operate far easier on the same physical machine than RediPlus. Simplistic measures, like CPU usage percent and Disk Page Faults will prove these claims.

OR,
    Consider the competition's thin client, fully robust direct access software applications for trading.

Or,
    suggest that your preferred broker carry and offer other software choices to trade through.

#13     Sep 6, 2002
  4. Limitdown,

Recommendations on a minimum configuration should start at 1Ghz using a minimum 200Mhz+ Bus speed, along with a minimum 384MB, preferrably 512MB or larger, so that the application can "possibly" operate in memory. Fat clients, are what huge software applications are called. RediPlus is about as fat as you can get Well put Limitdown

Limitdown ,Well put. Many trading firms who use REDI+(I won't mention names)have inadequate hardware for REDI+. The minimum requiements I mentioned will work well for most traders.
    If you are running charting & anayltic software plus REDI+ I suggest 512 Meg RAM. I don't claim to be be any expert, but our techs(not me) , have solved most issue's related to REDI+ slowness & freezing software . Limitdown, I think you make the valid point that many software issues can be hardware related .
    I think for most traders the REDI+ staff is set up to liason with firms, not individual traders , so a firms(or tech savy individuals) will have to troubleshoot REDI+ problems. This is why selecting a
    introducing broker with a knowledgeable tech staff is important.

Gene Weissman
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#14     Sep 6, 2002
  5. I've traded on REDI for the past year, and no matter what Gene or anyone else says this platform is the worst for trading. Lock-ups, lack of features that traders need, responsiveness of tech support to actually change the software, the number of crashes, charting being delayed, all these issues have been hit on, but it is used by a lot of firms out there, must be getting some type of sweet deal. Traded with Tradecast, CyberTrader, some in house software and by far REDI is the worst.

#15     Sep 6, 2002
  6. DaytraderDave,

If been using REDI+ since it came out and I've used REAL Tick , ROX and other platforms. The Freezing you talk abou can be
    from several sources. You don't have to mention it here(send me a private message), but who do you trade with? It soounds like you need someone to diagnose your software problems. REDI is really for institutional(or firms) and does not give personal
    customer service to traders, that's why your introducing broker is important. Limitdown gave an excellent rundown on hardware required and I would also recommend Windows 2000(pro) as an operating system. If you have the right hardware and operating system, you will have far fewer(if any) major problems. The Windows operating system needed and hardware for REAL Tick , Cybertarder , ROX, IB and others may not be the same! We have traders that trade in excess of 250,000 shares a day and use REDI+ & Bridge , with very few problems. If we had major probelms , we would not use REDI+! I would say this, the software you use for execution is a matter of opinion and not all order execution software will please everyone.

Gene Weissman
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#16     Sep 6, 2002
  7. JQP

JQP

Has anyone been having problems with Redi+ P&L monitors updating promptly in the last week?

#17     Sep 26, 2002
  8. Workstations....
    I tell ya, workstations...

Redi+ would work better on an expensive $12,000+ workstation rather than on these desktop configurations that we've discussed. Then the processing power would be there in surplus, and overwhelm this poorly maintained and out of date software. In addition to that, all the internal system paging, memory management, screen/display management issues, along with the processor power management issues would be handled with more room to spare.

Kinda expensive on a per trader basis, huh? Well the alternatives are smaller footprint, vastly more modern and sophisticated software available through other DA (direct access) vendors.

Demand more, get more, pay more, earn more!

#18     Sep 26, 2002
  9. JQP

JQP

Not sure here. Spear usually attributes these problems to a server (either P&L or message) problem on their end and not individual workstations or software. My point was that in the past week these problems have become regular occurances and I was wondering if any one else was experiencing the same?

#19     Sep 26, 2002
  10. Bryan Roberts

Bryan Roberts Guest

no problems at all here....um, wait....oh that's right i'm using sterling, nevermind!!!

#20     Sep 26, 2002