Recruitment help, please!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by George Parr, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Hi --

New to Elite Trader... first post.

Background: I'm currently in my final year of undergraduate studies... and had internship experiences in Equity Research at a bulge bracket investment bank.

I'm really looking into getting into prop trading in legit firms. I love the market, have great intuition and have won 1st place in several trading simulations.

However.. the big problem is, I'm not getting any interviews from prop firms... Sure, I do have a fair amount of IBD interviews and corporate finance... but when it comes to getting into trading, I have no luck.

I'm just hoping from any bit of advice... or what I can do to possibly get these interviews at prop firms.

2. ctheo1

ctheo1

Hi - I am new to ET too.

I have 10+ years of experience on wall str, including several at bulge bracket. i've always had a passion for trading and always wanted to work for myself which i do know.

what i will tell you is solely based on my experience which by no means is exhaustive. a lot of the people in these so called shops are quite "hung up" with their backgrounds and resent people with CVs from top universities, i-banks etc. [again, that was just the feeling i got from speaking to a lot of them quite some time ago.]

while i am fortunate enough to have a top education and work experience, i also realize that all this is worth JACK SHIT when it comes to trading. the market is an equal opportunity screwer. it doesn't care if you're rich, poor, black, white....whatever. it just wants your money and will do what it can to separate you from it and dishearten you.

my advice to you is to understand why you want to trade and what you want from trading. then find a mentor who has walked the path you want to walk. you are unlikely to find that in a prop shop.

all the best,

3. Thanks.. PM-ed you.