Recruiting practices for Prop firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by IvyLeagueTrader, Nov 19, 2001.

1. They think that everyone should kiss their ass since they have that "I am smarter and better than you" ivy diploma. What a joke. The big firms are run by good old boys who went to Ivy schools because their dads did and on and on. So they only hire Ivies. What a joke. Pompous bastards like this Ivy league punk make me want to puke.

#21     Nov 21, 2001
  2. Formal education has diddly to do with trading success. The skillset needed is not taught in any college that I know of.

Fast fingers, a sharp eye, a quick wit, some cash, and an understanding of the games that are played (guaranteed not to be taught at Harvard) is what you need.

The sheepskin can be used to wipe up the stains left behind by the Ivy Leager in the next seat.

#22     Nov 22, 2001
  3. I know a guy with several degrees from top schools, who has always come near the top of his class. I also know a guy from a blue-collar background, with no formal education after high school. The second guy can't even string together simple sentences on a piece of paper.

The first guy is me and the second guy was my mentor, and is the most successful trader whom I have had the honor of being exposed to.

Formal education means jack shit. All that matters is the right psychological attitude, good trade management and a positive expectancy system.

#23     Nov 22, 2001
  4. i ran across this article today and thought it might be of interest.. no one can say the establishment doesnt take care of its own..

Monday November 26, 2001
    Pay Harvard's Tuition; Get Certified as Brilliant

Half of all Harvard's students were given "A" grades last year and a study suggests that the prestigious university has been routinely inflating grades for years, according to Fox News.

The study analyzed grades given students by Harvard over the past 15 years and showed a dramatic increase in the number of top grades handed students over the past 10 years. The study revealed that A's and A-minuses accounted for 33.2 percent of all grades in 1985 but jumped to a whopping 48.5 percent last year. Moreover, failing grades, D's and C's made up less than 6 percent of all those given, Fox News reported.

Wrote Susan Pedersen, dean of undergraduate education: "With such a narrow range of grades available, faculty find it difficult to distinguish adequately between work of differing quality; they may also be unable to make such distinctions clear to students."

full article
    http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2001/11/26/163219

-qwik

#24     Nov 26, 2001
  5. kenstl

kenstl

Ivy League - please tell us you took that handle because absolutely ALL of the other ones you were considering were taken!

Why not something like "BigShotTrader" or "WannaBeTrader" or "MoneyBleeder"????

...we'd at least respect your honesty! :D

#25     Nov 27, 2001
  6. Reaction... to market situations can never be taught ...Thanks for playing Ivy

#26     Nov 27, 2001
  7. kenstl

kenstl

Here is a test I often tell my students to apply to themselves (I am a grad student so I have to teach undergrads from time to time; my students are uptight pre-meds) :

Do you think going to an expensive school has anything to do with your intelligence?

If the answer is yes, then you probably will need to go to an expensive school, because you will not be able to hack it on your own.

There are many bright Ivy-leaguers out there; some are even good traders, the rest are just rabbits in my headlights.

#27     Nov 27, 2001
  8. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Is she serious? At least she could have said "We give out all A's because everyone here is so smart."

This stuff just kills me...

Kirk

#28     Nov 28, 2001
  9. canuck

canuck

How hard is it for a Canadian to come become a prop trader for a US firm? I'm willing to move to any location. I have extensive day-trading training and experience. Just lacking a lot of money to start on my own.

Any firms willing to hire me, let me know...

#29     Nov 29, 2001
  10. Commisso

Commisso Guest

Having such a prestigious degree could prove to actually be a psychological hindrance for a trader, for I imagine it could be difficult for him to let go of himself....

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

#30     Nov 29, 2001