Recovering From Religion

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, May 30, 2012.

1. i have thought about it some more. the answer is yes.

if science were used to determine why homicides were happening and through science we were able to intercede in the root cause of the homicides the rate could be lowered.

#11     May 30, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

I value the scientific method very much, but I've come down with a nasty case of existentialism.

#12     May 30, 2012
  3. the only 'religion' destroying our country is modern liberalism. Christianity has been here from the start. Let's be serious here, the fact is the country has been run by god fearing old white men throughout its history including its rise to being the sole superpower on the planet. And no the war was started by radical muslims who blew up our buildings and killed 3000 US citizens. That particular form of mysticism had it coming.

#13     May 30, 2012
  4. Talk about a weak response from you...

Religion has been the direct cause of soooo many wars and bloodshed over the centuries its disgusting.

If you had grown up even 200 years prior, any *heretical* statement would've gotten you hanged/burned.

Guys were executed for believing the world was round because it went against God!

Think about this: the history we read was written by many a religious scholar, the fact that the victims stories made it to light via the victims themselves or their supporters (i.e. the side who lost war/argument against God) goes a long way towards hinting at what these religious scholars covered-up and never discussed.

Mass graves, genocide, crusades... the list is never-ending. Yet you seem to forget where humanity evolved from?

Christianity is no saint, nor is Islam etc...

#14     May 30, 2012
  5. do you think they might be radical because we allow israel to practice jackbooted policies in the middle east enforced with guns and bombs that have a "made in america" stamp on them?

#15     May 30, 2012
  6. i agree with some of your post but I have no idea how it applies to my post at all. Here in the US religion is not pushed on you by anyone but your family, sorry dude we aren't living in the dark ages, and in reality religion has been here from the start, and the church has no ability to govern here. It is obviously NOT destroying the country. this guy posts non stop anti religious articles, and the article in the OP of this thread is just nonsense not meant to help anyone but to start shit. If you need a recovery program to get over religion you have bigger issues to be concerned with. (like being a huge vagina)

#16     May 30, 2012
  7. Really appreciate the instant resort to ad hominem attacks!

Nice to know I'm dealing with an adult (sarcasm there in case you do not have the capacity to read in between the lines).

Let's talk about your awesome buddy ... what's his name? That's right, Santorum. A bona fide presidential hopeful who thought it was ridiculous to have ever separated church and state. Yep. Think about that one for a while.

Where do I start with Bachmann?? Or even Palin? These idiotic pseudo-preachers have the capacity to bring us back a few hundred years should they ever gain any serious power.

Your claim is akin to saying saying these religious+political morons have no influence? WTF?

Did you know it is illegal to purchase sex toys in Alabama? How's that for destroying freedom via bullshit religious morals?

#17     May 30, 2012
  8. The UN supported the creation of Israel, now I personally don't think we should give Israel so much but the hypocrisy of supporting their creation and then hanging them out to dry is a little tough for me to swallow.. not very American, and not the right thing to do imo. The UN has changed their collective mind over time, and while that isn't surprising, it is still wrong. Also, the way certain Muslims interpret their holy book is what makes them radical, they did that themselves. If they have a problem with US involvement in the region then they should take it up with their own govts, not mass murder our civilians.

In short, I don't give a shit what caused them to commit mass murder, but once any problem escalates to violence then the only response is violence.

#18     May 30, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

No, you're just stroking your holier than thou ego.

#19     May 30, 2012
  10. what attacks dude? I was talking about FT not you.. I've never seen a post from you before. i don't like Santorum for several reasons and being too religious is one of them, but I would vote for him any day over obama. This idiotic pseudo intellectual is sending us backwards NOW.

#20     May 30, 2012