Recovering From Religion

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, May 30, 2012.

1. If you are one of the many people who have determined that religion no longer has a place in their life, but are still dealing with the after-effects in some way or another, Recovering From Religion may be just the right spot for you. Many people come to a point that they no longer accept the supernatural explanations for the world around them, or they realize just how much conflict religious belief creates. It can be difficult to leave religion because family and culture put so much pressure on us to stay and pretend to believe the unbelievable. If this is you, we want to help you find your way out. Don't let people convince you that you just didn't have 'enough' faith, or that you just haven't found the "right" religion.
    As Mark Twain famously said, "Faith is believing what you know ain't so."

RR is made up of people who have all given religion our best shot, but we can't bring ourselves to accept the unacceptable any longer. If you've ever questioned the archaic edicts and laws of holy books, the inconsistent morality and questionable motive of ancient teachings (along with their many modern interpretations); if you've raised an eyebrow to virgin births, or found the flaws in resurrections, bronze age "miracles" and the ridiculously misguided “power of prayer;” then Recovering From Religion is the place for you. We are recovering from every imagineable religion: Baptists, Mormons, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Hindus, Muslims, Lutherans, Pentecostals, Evangelicals, and many more. We are happy, we are healthy, and we warmly welcome you to a life free of the confines of faith.
    http://recoveringfromreligion.org/

2. What is AA?

Atheists Anonymous is an imaginary support group for Theistically-minded Atheists.

Created/evolving for dealing with the ongoing struggle to reconcile disbelief in God and strongly felt religious inclinations.

3. Geez, take about a one track mind. Can't you just put all this stuff of yours in one thread named, religion sucks?

4. Thanks for the info. It's very useful. I am currently recovering from Obamaism, however I don't see an option there. How do I get them to add it?

5. if religion sucks am i doing a service to mankind by helping them gain the courage to escape its hold on their mind?

6. Ricter

Ricter

Not necessarily, as you're probably accelerating the spread of nihilism. Not that it was going to stop spreading.

7. It seems to me that you feel victimized somehow by religion. like you are anti-religious not because you don't believe but because whatever religion you were born into doesn't agree with your lifestyle or something. Just a guess, but why else would you post such a stupid thing here? The guys on the board are either religious or they aren't, what is the point of this post if it isn't just to stir shit up?

I don't believe in any form of mysticism but I couldn't care less that others do.. except when they try to push it on me. Lol is this like alcoholics anonymous for religion? weak. Did you also need a recovery program when u stopped believing in the tooth fairy?

8. me either except when it is religion that is destroying our country. it got us into a 10 year war. its the reason republicans are the way they are and now they want to destroy science because it falsifies their god.

9. Ricter

Ricter

Why would the "rule of science" reduce the homicide rate?

10. who knows but its not relevent.

on most things i consider you a well reasoned thinker. but on science you seem to have a mental block or a lack of trust. i wonder why.

science in its simplest form is a method to apply reason to the search for answers. do you distrust reason?

#10     May 30, 2012