Record 7 million are 3 months behind on their car payments

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jeb9999, Feb 13, 2019.

1. destriero

destriero

I don’t know too many 16yo with car loans.

#31     Feb 14, 2019
  2. ironchef

ironchef

#32     Feb 14, 2019
  3. schweiz

schweiz

7 million molehills together are probably a (small) mountain...

#33     Feb 15, 2019
  4. southall

southall

7million people say roughly $1000 behind in payments is just $7Billion.

$7B out $1300B in total US auto loans.

Lenders charge around $50B a year in auto loan interest.

#34     Feb 16, 2019
    #35     Feb 16, 2019
  6. schweiz

schweiz

The question is: how big is the profit on these $50B? Because if 7B is not paid it means 7B losses. Losses that have to be recovered somewhere from PROFITS. So from that POV it can be a huge problem. You should not compare a loss with the turnover, you should take the net profit margin.

Amazon had for 2018 a net profit that was 4% of the revenues they had. 7B on 50B revenues represents 14%! So 3.5 times the net profit margin of Amazon in losses! Or 3.5 years of profits that would be lost.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMZN/financials?p=AMZN

And each year there can, or rather will be certainly, new problematic loans.

#36     Feb 16, 2019
  7. Fiat Currency (even the Swiss Franc is now a Fiat Currency) only stays alive when debt is added, which is why virtually all Developed Nations have a huge debt load. At some point, it will come to a nasty end . . . and then start all over again. It's been happening for the last 3,000 + years.

#37     Feb 16, 2019
  8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

That is a straw-man.

AMZN is one company.

The 7million delinquent people are spread among many (auto and/or financial) companies. The distribution of losses may not be equal, but it is also possible that no one company holds a significant majority. The article does not differentiate the aggregate.

#38     Feb 16, 2019
    schweiz likes this.
  9. schweiz

schweiz

Indeed, I started from a 1 company point of view and that was wrong in this case. :)

#39     Feb 16, 2019
  10. %%
    Most all car loans are LOL. NOT charged off; but underwater/depreciation.Plenty of money has been made buying that ''charge off paper/cheap paper'':cool::cool:I see your points, speedo; but i pay cash for cars.........

#40     Feb 19, 2019