Reconsidering my Dell UltraSharp 49 Curved Monitor - U4919DW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laissez Faire, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Hello guys,

In the past I used 2 x 22" LCD screens connected to my laptop and as I desired more screen estate I went for a Dell 49" Ultrawide. This was also a practical decision as I could use one plug / one screen instead of a ton of cables and also not have to buy a docking station to connect one extra screen to my laptop.

Initially, I thought it was great, but now I'm not so sure any longer.

After having used it for some while my main complaint now is that it's too wide and the curve is too small. Basically, I feel like the outer edges of the screen are pretty much redundant. Having more vertical estate would have been far better, I think.

Periodically, I've had some eye strain, too. Some guy I talked to also said that his eyes would get really strained with a 60 Hz IPS panel.

Any thoughts / experiences?

I'm considering swapping it for 2 x 38" stacked on top instead. Or maybe 3 x 27".

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    RicRams and bone like this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

the ultrawide screen has quite a bad aspect ratio.

I use 5x32" and 1x42" screens, all portrait format.
    I trade various futures.
    I want to have as much screen area as possible as long as my eyes and brain can handle it.

definitely for the 1X42", the vertical dimension is too much,
    I could hardly see what is at the upper end of the screen.

I think the 32" portrait format is great because the vertical dimension is just right.
    and you can have 2 or 3 or 4 of them.
    and all these screens can have the same chart template.

RicRams, vic38 and Laissez Faire like this.
  3. tango29

tango29

I have 2 34" Samsungs, one over the other for my futures trading. It is enough screen space for me. If I had room I might throw in a 27" to have longer time frame charts always visible instead of having to click a tab, but not necessary. For equities, Schwab, I have 3 monitors. I 27", 2 32". Again more than enough for me.

nooby_mcnoob and Laissez Faire like this.
  4. I've had 60hz monitors for year with no eye strain. (When you try to use multiple monitors, I'm not sure you can even get them to run at higher than 60hz... ??)

I like 4x, 27" UHD monitors. 3 of them in portrait mode for charts. The 3 are a bit smaller than a 50" TV but with greater resolution. If you want to go this route or with larger, look for monitors whose base is no wider than the portrait width. Otherwise you won't be able to arrange them close enough together.

Laissez Faire likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

I love my 3 Ultrawide Curved 43" LG's. Never go back to anything smaller.

Horizontal all the way. No additional eye strain for my not so great eyes.

I would imagine vertically would cause me serious neck strain.

We're all built differently though.

VicBee and Laissez Faire like this.
  6. heispark

heispark

Dell products have had significant quality issues. Personally, I am a Dell hater and have decided not to buy anything from Dell. Do some research about Dell products quality issues.

7. heispark

heispark

This is my setup. I have two 32 inch Samsung ultrawide monitors. It's only $400. As far as I know, curved monitor is not ideal for traders because lines look bent. I chose Ultrawide monitors because it's easier to watch 3 time frames altogether. I really like it. If you have enough budget, I recommend LG rather than Samsung.

TheMordy, vic38 and Laissez Faire like this.
  8. Sounds like a massive set-up. Pictures...? :)

9. Thanks for the input so far, guys.

I'm partially motivated to upgrade as I'd love a bit more screen estate and I think adding something to this set-up would potentially be too massive. Not sure. Maybe I could add a second screen on the side of this if I angle it.

For charts, I'm mostly covered, but I do use a bit of Excel during the trading day and it would be nice to have a dedicated screen for that + an extra chart.

I may have lucked out as there's some guy who wants to buy this beast from me for more than I paid for it.

10. This probably won't mean anything to you, but...

1. Dell's laptops are manufactured by one of the "5-makers in Asia" and rebranded. Likely everyone else who sells laptops has similar issues ??

2. "Inspiron" is one of Dell's el-cheapo lines... as is Vostro. I would never buy either of them.

3. Dell has had superior ratings for a long time for their Precision line of computers (Dell's best, IMV) as well as their Ultra line of monitors.

I've bought "Dell Precision" line computers almost exclusively for the last 15 years. I currently have 6 of them in my home network, one of which is a laptop. (The desktop workstations are 6-years old and the laptop is 9-years old. No problems in any of them. My prior "batch" of workstations was 12 years old, running on W7, before being replaced as required to run W10.)

Botton Line... buy quality.

FWIW...

#10     Jan 6, 2022