Recommended VPS solution...

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Unhommefou, May 8, 2009.

1. jjw

jjw ET Sponsor

can you provide examples of what you do consider "good and well done" ?

#11     May 25, 2009
  2. You joke?

* Stable, not crashing wih out of memory exceptions regularly.
    * Well designed user interface. If I pay more than 1000 USD for a software license, I would really like to get something that looks polished.
    * Work with standard windows even if it is not "totally boring" install. In my case we use redirected documents folders living on a server. Sadly, the NT installer crashes on those, and one can not even uninstall NT - result is the use of local accounts ONLY for nt, which normally is against the policy of the company (and I trade from my companies computers).
    * Programming model following .NET conventions and integrating with .NET tools - the IDE level of NT is pretty pathetic, debugging support non-existent (though one can get things working).
    * Appropriate scalability. They change this with NT7, but NT6.5 is single threaded. Which means that while one window loads.... historical data.... lets just say the other windows are not so much fun anymore. On a 4 core processor, only one will ever be used.

That basically sums it up. I definitely do not consider something I can not install on a normal windows setup (and folder redirection is explicitly normal in larger environments) and that locks itself up thanks to bad memory management good software.

Oh, and they use the jet engine behind (that is the MS access engine). Thank heaven THAT will be retired in NT7 against SQL Server embedded ;)

#12     May 26, 2009
  3. RedRat

RedRat

I am using netrackservers
    http://netrackservers.com/hostingsolutions-vps-servers.html

The $25/month VPS is fine with me. But I do not use Ninja, I do not know how much memory does it require.

The network connection is stable, still I may experience FIX disconnects once/twice per day, but I do not know whether that is a problem of VPS or of my brokerage.

#13     May 27, 2009
  4. Let's just say i would not thinkg of running Ninja on their biggest offer ;) That has 1gb memory - hardly enough, sadly.

The offer you pay for is not even good enough to start windows with full ui - and that is sadly needed here.

#14     May 27, 2009
  5. I run NT with Trading Tech feed using VPS Land. Given I trade futures, not equities, I usually have 9-12 streaming quotes, along with 3 simultaneous strategies and a dozen charts. Only 1 full server reset in the past 4 months.

Steady, fast, cheap. Just my two cents and it works for me, maybe not everyone else, but I thought I could share.

Enjoy the weekend,
    Masterjaz

Edit--I am running the "Starter" package and don't run into any real memory issues even at 1GB. Key is to not have too much going on and not to start and restart strategies as the memory leakage is huge.

#15     May 29, 2009
  6. Funny, that you mentioned VPSland, because that is who I had decided to go with after no one had answered my question originally.

The only reason I needed a VPS was due the storms that I have had here in the Tampa area for the past three weeks.

I had a strategy running three weeks ago, and when I came home from work, I found that the power had gone out at my place.

I knew that I was already in a position because I had made it so that the strategy text'd me when it gets in a position and out of a position.

I did not get an out of position text, so I just let it go, not knowing that my computer at home had turned it self off due to no power.:eek:

I immediately booted up my laptop when I discovered this, and tethering through my cellphone, checked on my position.

I was okay (if the computer was up, I'd had still been in the trade anyway), but I had decided that I was not going to go through that again, hence the VPS.

#16     May 31, 2009
  7. Now THAT sounds well known. I live i Poland, and we sometimes still have the same situation. Power unstable ;)

This is why I moved all my servers to a data center, with the exception of one, and that one has a 40 minute battery backup ;)

#17     May 31, 2009
  8. edbar

edbar

I have been running automated traders since 2001 and have found no reason to have my computer hosted.

I run 6 automated traders on low end computers with 1gb of ram in each, from home, and cannot remember anytime that they were down.

For remote access to all of my computers from anywhere, I use the free subscription at http://www.LogMeIn.com

To me, that's better than paying someone else to house my computers.

Plus, when I am home, I have full use of my machines.

Ed

#19     Aug 19, 2009