Recommended reading for a newbie trader

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by akeserla, Jan 28, 2009.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

I do not have proof anyone's posts are real or not except my own. I call my trades live in chat (well, I did until the past couple days when chat was down), and I post my P/L screen shot right out of my live account showing the exact trades I called that day. It would take one hell of a lot of free time and effort to make all that up.

I very much a beginner, having started day trading in July, but technical indicators have been an amazing tool for me and I came by them from hours and hours of screen time showing me what happens at minor and major support and resistance levels, when SMAs are approached and broken, when thousands of technical traders follow trend lines and make TA a self-fulfilling prophecy. Technical indicators show you the price levels where real people believed they were getting a bargain, or pawning off an overpriced stock on someone else. TA reflects real people doing real things with real money.

I hope the OP spends hours watching charts and seeing the magic in these common patterns; it will pay off in time.

#21     Jan 29, 2009
  2. Redneck

Redneck

FWIW & IMHO

I trade price action and I consider it technical analysis

otherwise what it would it be - fundalmental analysis??

The only way someone could trade price action and not call it technical is trade off the tape only - it's do-able but damn hard

If it involves a chart & price - it's technical.... - along with any other indicators someone sees fit to add

Take Care

eta - OP - CTT gave you a great list of books btw

read Trading in the Zone a couple of times - it's worth it Sir

#22     Jan 29, 2009
  3. #23     Jan 29, 2009
  4. Price action is a nebulous term designed to make those who don't understand it feel inferior to those who allegedly do. It's nonsense and meaningless unless you enjoy debating.

The price action journals are all about chart patterns, support/resistance and when this bar closes above or below that bar, blah, blah blah ad nauseum. You can look at one chart and see a bullish pattern and then change the timeframe and get bearish as hell, especially if you overlay conventional indicators on them.

So what does it all mean. Not much.

For those who have learned to extract money out of the market on a consistent basis, and they are are rare breed, you will find various names for the methods they use. If you happen to find something that really works, you can label it whatever you want.

Just don't tell anyone how you're doing it.

And never forget, the telltale sign of a method that doesn't work consistently is one that is for sale or taught for a high price or is so laden with esoteric gobbley gook, you'll go insane trying to figure it out.

The best trading method I have seen cost less than $50 is simple as hell and runs circles around almost all others. More importantly, its developer refused significant compensation despite constant urgings to teach it (and its nuances) in a mentoring arrangement. Now that's integrity you'll not find among the flim-flam confidence men who sponsor here.

#24     Jan 29, 2009
  5. Redneck

Redneck

You know Sir I agree with you

after a discussion with NoDoji where we were talking about stocks having personalities

Putting that together with price action..

I believe

price action, a stock's personality, trading emotion, S&R, along with a few other terms - all mean the same thing now

Redneck

eta - Apologies if I came off sounding like an elitists

#25     Jan 29, 2009
  6. Be flexible in everything, isolate yourself to protect a positive mindset..don't let them steal that consider everything as a possibility to success in trading, explore everything, your passion for trading will lead you...assholes will bog you down..if they can't do it then it must be impossible to everyone or else their egos get damaged- some won't allow damage- they'll try to hurt you.
    If trading does not give you a sense of positivity within yourself..if you don't wake up and think trading immediately..or soon after brushing and coffee then it may not be for you. PASSION for trading- the life of the markets the anticipation , the heartbeat . For many its watching those that do and for others its doing . Take the lead role in your life especially if you're single.

#26     Jan 31, 2009