Recommended Programming Language for Finance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crandall_v, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Hands down C++!

#21     Aug 17, 2008
  2. Bushido

Bushido

Are you kidding!! Definitely not C++ as a poster mentioned before its the worst and it was created to be a practical joke.

Anyways yes C is good and I'm surprised no one mentioned Python.

Good Luck!!

#22     Aug 17, 2008
  3. Corey

Corey

Look a few posts up...I did :D

#23     Aug 18, 2008
  4. Bushido

Bushido

Ah!! yes you did... the disadvantage of skimming once in a while i actually miss stuff... anyways you have explained why you said Python which are good reasons to go with it.

Cheers!!

#24     Aug 18, 2008
  5. I think u can write code in SAS
    I use to do that with e-views...

but my question to the poster...what is / are your objectives?
    there are lots out there
    Thanks

#25     Aug 18, 2008
    #26     Aug 18, 2008
  7. Now I kind of have narrowed it down to 2.

The question is, which is better?

C# or Python. I guess I am leaning more towards Python because it is easier than C# - but VERY extensible. All it seems to be implemented more in academic programs than C#. Otherwise than that I have never heard of C# before. When I was working with programmers on my floor (I was an IT Technician) I was always hearing different conversations - and C# was NEVER mentioned. In fact TI-BASIC variants were mentioned more than C# was.

It almost seems like a fad right now (C#) that will blow over soon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

#27     Aug 28, 2008
  8. AgeKay

AgeKay

C# is easier to learn and faster than Python. There are more and better frameworks for C#. C# has gotten many dynamic features during the last few years. C# is definitely not a fad, it's in its 3. version and the most used language in .NET. .NET is the most used programming environment in the world having overtaken Java a few years ago. If you still like Python more, then you could also go with IronPython, which is a Python implementation that runs on .NET. So you get basically the best of both worlds.

#28     Aug 29, 2008
  9. Amen. I am going to apply this advice to myself as well.

#29     Aug 29, 2008
  10. Euler

Euler

C# is a great language but would marry you to Microsoft's OS's. There are both good and bad aspects to this. Java would give you more platform flexibility; although Java itself has become something of a "platform" (not necessarily good, IMO), at least it can run on almost any OS. Also, keep in mind that using Microsoft's environment may force you to learn new languages/"technologies", and even new syntax for the old ones, with some frequency. The latest version of every Microsoft-based platform I've used has been perpetually out of date with respect to Microsoft's current stuff, and -- guess what? -- this causes headaches. Java certainly seems more stable over time, although probably not so much as the more-difficult-to-learn-and-manage-memory-in C++.

On the other hand, Microsoft's stuff has excellent and inexpensive (or even free) integrated development environments (IDE's), and so many people use the stuff that there's tons of free help on the 'Net.

Using Python is an interesting idea; the thing I'd address there is whether there's an easy way to interface it with your platform of choice. If that looks like smooth sailing and Python performs well enough, then I'd say go for it; otherwise, back to the drawing board.

#30     Aug 29, 2008