Recommended Books

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jasper6, Nov 21, 2003.

1. jasper6

jasper6

Is there a good primer out there on economics for traders?

2. If you have no previous knowledge of macro economics then you really need to start at the start. Go to an educational bookstore and look at first year university level books that cover macro.

I'm sure you'll get some relatively new second hand books really cheap.

Runningbear

3. "Economics In One Lession" by Harry Hazlitt. Good primer on Econ. Best Regards, Steve46

4. I took Econ as a minor at University and although it was pretty cool to read about macroeconomics, the money supply, balance of international payments, swaps, bank rates, etc... I found that it is only applicable in the long run. Even the textbooks will say that it is a long run view. So IMHO, it isn't very useful to know for trading unless you are investing on that time scale.

It is a good read if only for personal knowledge, but the most applicable Econ concept that I found for trading is the micro section on supply and demand and how/why prices move. Also, the affect of price celings/floors and intervention is insightful for the FX market, and to a lesser degree on MM's decision to put heavy support or resistance at a key whole number level.

DNAJ65000

5. gnome

gnome

I suggest you NOT concern yourself with economics... it will hurt your performance by inducing conflicts.

6. A market theory of Money
    John Hick - Nobel Prize
    Oxford University Press 1989

Old but Classic from brilliant economist Nicholas Kaldor who has studied the link between speculation and economy:
    Essays on Economic Stability and Growth
    1939 revised in 1960 in Review of Economic Studies

7. How can you trade without knowing what's happening - and why?

8. DVB

DVB

I would recommend Keynes: The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (Great Minds Series)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-9332659-9072954?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

to understand how American government operates, and what kind of policies it will most likely implement under different conditions. It seems that creating bubbles is the favorite game in town nowadays.

On the other side of the coin: Ludwig von Mises (Austrian school of thought) is a good start in understanding the factors behind bubbles.

http://www.mises.org/mises.asp

DVB