Recommended books for learning Java

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by fielman, Oct 11, 2006.

1. fielman

fielman

I am not sure if this is the correct place. I want to learn programming in Java (very eager) in order to develop my own automated trading system using IB's API. I am a fast learner with basic knowledge of the logic in programming.

I have just ordered Simply Java: An introduction to Java programming. I have to wait 4 weeks for this book. I can get Java in a Nutshell within 5 days.

What do you guys think of the abovementioned two titles? Any other recommendations/suggestions?

2. I learned Java almost entirely from the web, but I was already a very experienced C and to a lesser extent C++ programmer (as well as some other languages).

SUN's tutorials are quite good

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

and also have the advantage of being up to date with Java 1.6.

Googling for example code for whatever you are having difficulty with or are interested in, is very productive and probably a lot better than any individual book, no matter how good it is.

Get an IDE and start playing around. I use Netbeans

Free from

http://www.netbeans.org

Eclipse is also well regarded and free.

3. As dcraig said, your best tutor is online, just grab eclipse from eclipse.org and start getting your feet wet, you will need to learn many things, one advanced topic that you will definitely need is "Threads".

Be warned, if you have some high expectations of getting your automated system up and running in a couple of months then you will be disappointed.

From your post I can say that it will take you atleast a year of very hard work, having right expectations increases the probability of reaching your goal.

Good Luck.

4. fielman

fielman

Thanks dcraig and newbie.

I am going to give it my best shot - newbie I will take 1 year as a challenge. It is going to be difficult having a full-time job.

5. definitely agree with dsp for the OOP in it.

6. Trustme

Trustme

great book, but make sure you know some Java before you start this one. You can get the 3rd Edition online, the 4th in Print. It's worth the money, I highly recommend it.

TM