Recommended API

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by eyalmolad, Aug 11, 2009.

1. eyalmolad

eyalmolad

Ok you are correct. My intention was IQFeed.
    I understand that IQFeed service is based on the same technology, but it has some limited access to quotes. It is much cheaper (150$/M).
    Does anyone know what is the difference?
    Thanks,
    Eyal

#41     Aug 20, 2009
  2. Your understanding is MOST likely incorrect. I do NOT think IQ is based on the same technology completely - maybe some backend, but NOT data distribution.

Do not underestimate the amount of data running through NxCore. I use Zen-Fire, and for testing purposes.... I was asking for a COMPLETE EXCHANGE FEED CME yesterday (and no, that is NOT possible with Ninja - you need a LOT more access to their backend, then you can basically ask the a complete subscription per exchange). Even during early morning I could hardly see the signals scrolling by. I was informed that during active times I should prepare for a LOT more than 30.000 notifications per second - the vast majority of that obviously bid/ask updates, and a lot of them again for options ;)

Will most likely do a recording next week for some days just to get an idea about how much data runs through there. But it is a LOT, even for a smaller exchange as CME (compared to all NASDAQ, for example - and options on stocks make me cringe for the volume there).

#42     Aug 20, 2009
  3. Kinetic

Kinetic

I've used both IQ Feed and NxCore, they are both provided by DTN but are completely different systems. I started with IQ Feed which is good for an individual trader that is monitoring a few hundred symbols. I upgraded to NxCore because I want to scan the entire market. I can see large blocks and momentum in all stocks as it's happening. NxCore provides subsecond timestamps, trade sequence numbers and all trades/quotes, regardless of trade condition, no filtering like other feeds. Some feeds filter out trades with a trade condition other than "regular" I want to receive all the data, not what a vendor thinks I need.

I've used many other feeds and there is no other feed that is able to provide the quantity of data as efficiently as NxCore. OPRA pushes more than 1,000,000 msg per second, if you want to receive data for all of the 300,000+ options contracts, you'll need to either need to pay a couple grand to colocate at a data provider or pay $5,000- $10,000 for a telco line to your office. Either of those options is more than the total cost for NxCore. Activ, Spryware, Comstock will charge $7500+/mo. It's truely remarkable that NxCore is able to provide the same data over a $40/month internet service.

If you're using Ameritrade or E-Trade to enter orders in a browser, NxCore's probably not for you, it's for the guy that automates trades using an API. You can use IQ Feed, eSignal, or IB for around $100/mo. If you want data for all 20,000 stocks, and you don't need OPRA I believe NxCore is around $750/mo for all equities. I know a guy that doesn't need quotes, he's a technical chart trader, I believe he receives only the executed trades no bid/ask and is paying less than $500 and his bandwidth is only a couple hundred Kbs.

#43     Aug 20, 2009
  4. I think what some people really igore here is the tremendous amount of stuff pushed through. NxCore API description looks delicious.

I thought the same until I got a delivery of the complete CME feed. CME is only small, not thousands of stucks, but the options and all the bid ask changes REALLY add up TREMENDOUSLY. For options, it must be like living hell - a million messages per second is something someone has to swallow first. But it makes sense. Do not forget, if the stock changes, market makers immediately change their offers for the options ;) That is a really big cascade of... bid ask changes.

Anyone thinking about the costs should also think about the costs of the backend hardware ;) This is not something you can really utilize on a laptop type of server.

#44     Aug 20, 2009
  5. Kinetic

Kinetic

OPRA is a lot of data, it dwarfs all other exchanges, according to FIF June 2009:
    OPRA: 954,813 msg/sec
    NYSE & Amex Quotes: 160,145 msg/sec
    NYSE & Amex Trades: 22,328 msg/sec
    CME Trades & Quotes: 14,691 msg/sec

If you don't receive OPRA NxCore can easily process all of the equities and futures on a laptop or average desktop PC.

The beauty of NxCore is it's able to provide data for the entire market using just a little more bandwidth, CPU, memory than IQ, eSignal, Real Tick, IB or other feeds that limit you to a couple hundred symbols. My NxCore uses less 10% CPU and 25 MB of memory. The issue will be if your app is efficient enough to keep up, it's not for the guy that wants to DDE into Excel or wrote a simple VB app, there's plenty of feeds that can do that.

#45     Aug 20, 2009
  6. That is impressive. For comparison IQFeed uses in the range 10% - 15% of one core for 500 high volume stocks (Level I only) during the busy period after market open.

#46     Aug 20, 2009
  7. mhparker

mhparker

Good thread so far. I switched from Townsend to NxCore in January. My (modest) requirement is to scan about 2000 symbols once per minute, so the minimal (under $500/month) version of NxCore suffices. I also bought 5+ years of historical "tapes" from DTN, providing a complete database for backtesting, including all delisted symbols, splits, dividends, etc. (I can't overstate the value of having an accurate record of what actually happened each day, as opposed to the filtered historical data that other vendors offer.) While I agree that NxCore may be too expensive for the average retail trader, or too limited for an automated scalper, it is great to finally have a data service that is just right for the niche between these two extremes.

#47     Sep 20, 2009
  8. Nitro, this is an old post, but, is this Chicago tickerplant thing for NxCore still true (in 2012) ?

I guess I'm going to have to call these guys.

#48     Jun 8, 2012
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

Does it give depth of market for ECNs? Like multiple levels of bids and asks for ISLAND (NASDAQ) and ARCA (NYSE)? Last time I checked (about 1.5 years ago), they did not but they were saying that they would "soon."

Also, I felt like NxCore didn't treat me that well in terms of easily getting the demo. I also had a problem cancelling the NxCore service during the trial period.

#49     Jun 9, 2012
  10. NxCore, sorry, most data feeds just are not for you. Expect to either pay up, or drop requirements.

> I need to get a market data (Level I & II, Time and Sales) for around
    > 1000 NYSE/NSDQ pre-defined quotes.

THIS is the problem. 1000 symbols is QUITE A lot. Most retail feeds limit in the hundreds - if that much. Some give you 50 or 100 symbols for free. 1000 is really pushing it.

Now:

> 1) Genesis - they have a limitation for 3 quotes using their API over
    > the internet. They require me to hire a server at their server center in
    > order to be able to access more quotes.

SO WHAT?

Seriously, processing 1000 symbols over a slow unreliable link with high latency is not my idea of a trading setup ;) The idea of a machine in a data center is not that bad.

Note:
    * You can split data and trading. Thers are data providers - tons of - and brokers and trading networks. Some brokers / trading networks provide quotes, but there is no need to take all from one.
    * There are ton of API providers out there ;)
    * 1000 symbols is quite a lot.

http://www.futureprice.com/ may be able to provide that - they havea quite nice setup - but ;) Not released yet (beta).

#50     Jun 9, 2012