Recommendations

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Diamond50, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Diamond50

Diamond50

Greetings! This is my first post in some 6 odd years (had to create a new account; couldn't remember the last one). Back then, I was another one of the just-graduated-college-let's-dive-into-trading types.

I decided back then, as passionate as I was about trading, that I would work my butt off in my 20's to better position myself financially with the hopes of being more knowledgeable and give myself a better chance to get off the ground. Well here I am, 28 and still passionate about trading, and I am seriously setting my sights on making a move switching my life into what I have always loved. I currently have a relatively enjoyable job (things can always be worse, right!); but it is not the lifestyle I desire.

My question is this: I am looking at a 12-18 month window from now to prepare myself to make the switch. From anyone who has voluntarily left the 9-5 (7-6 is more like it) job into trading; what suggestions for someone like me to better prepare myself?

Glad to see ET is still kicking! :D

2. Reduce potential stress before you even start, such as having more than enough in the bank to live off, a nice amount of margin in your trading account, and proven live trading skills. A good hobby couldn't hurt either.

3. Diamond50

Diamond50

Thanks for the input Canada. I have a couple unsecured debts that I am paying off by year end and some illiquid investments that need to be restructured. Hence the 12-18 month window - I want to get my ducks in a row before my "self employment" limits my ability to do things such as that.

4. Just out of curiosity what products do you trade and what's your general style? I'm also in 'limbo' between the 9-5 and full time trading. I trade futures outright intraday and position trade currencies.

5. Diamond50

Diamond50

I have been trading spreads on SPY, small volume for about a year. For about 6 years now, I have actively traded my long term portfolio (6-10 trades a quarter). Starting to spend some time practicing some short term swing trading in various equities at the moment though.