Recommendations for new trading rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by listedguru, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Looking at getting a new trading rig sometime in the new year. I don't need anything fancy just something that will do 4k@60hz. So something with onboard graphics would be fine as long as it has display port and or hdmi 2.0

I see some decent deals on Dell XPS's that folks have bought just for the GPU and have removed the GPU. I think this would work for me as it still has display port via the integrated graphics that would work for me. I thinking in my case it probably wouldn't make any sense for me to build something.

Outside of being able to do 4K@60hz I'm thinking 16gb of Ram and a decent SSD drive and I should be good to go for years. I'm currently using a 5ish year old Dell Dimension 3847 with 8gb of ram and and I-5 processor with internal graphics. It still works great but it won't do 4k@60hz - I think it maxes out at 4k@30hz or so. I could do add a graphics card to this rig but not sure it's worth the cost of that with the GPU market being what it is currently.

Thoughts and or recommendations?

Thanks,

-Guru

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I like this https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/ideacentre/aio-500-series/ideacentre-aio-5i-27/fficf500348 with a matching second monitor. It will limit you to 2 monitors.

Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC. is not affiliated with this service providers. Data, information, and material (“content”) is provided for informational purposes only. This content neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, solicitation, or recommendation to buy or sell any securities. Any investment decisions made by the user through the use of such content is solely based on the user’s independent analysis taking into consideration your financial circumstances, investment objectives, and risk tolerance. Lightspeed Financial Services Group LLC does not endorse, offer nor recommend any of the services provided and any service used to execute any trading strategies are solely based on the independent analysis of the user.

MACD and Baron like this.
  3. Bugsy

Bugsy

RAM and graphics card are the most important, though none of it matter without internet speed. And if exact match fill prices are important you will need a fill provider like Speedy, DASTrader, or the sponsor on this site, forgot their name, that has their servers right next to the exchange to keep others from seeing your price and jumping in front of you.

MACD likes this.
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Always, always buy beyond what you need ... today.

5. Peter8519

Peter8519

It all depend on what are your trading needs? I am using i7-2600 3.4GHz with 16GB RAM and 1TB SATA SSD(main system about 10 year old, upgraded RAM and SSD). I run screening daily and a few thousand line automation script for ticker processing. The speed is still adequate. Anything above this system is miles ahead of me. Of course, if you need Windows 11 then your new hardware needs to support that. :)

cobco likes this.
  6. maxinger

maxinger

Whatever you choose,

the most likely bottleneck is going to be
    the trading platform or the
    charting software provider.

Bugsy likes this.
  7. Always decide whatever you need.

8. maxinger

maxinger

This seems to be the bot language.
    Are you a bot?

9. Bugsy

Bugsy

Fatal Error [54706]
    (E)xit (A)bort (C)ontinue

maxinger likes this.
  10. All you really need is a modern video card that specs to 4k @ 60hz. You can get one on eBay for $25 or less. You mentioned "hdmi video"... if you're using a TV as monitor, the solution is more specific.

As for your computer in general, it's still fine for trading. (Hardware requirements for a trading computer are quite minimal in most cases.)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    #10     Dec 23, 2021
    MACD, Big AAPL and Bugsy like this.