Recommendations for 6 screen computer system? DigitalTigers or Naplestech reviews?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Myshkin, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Funny. And poignant.

Is it contention when you disagree? I don't seek to contend... just call bullshit where I see/hear it... and man, there is a mountain of manure of misinformation and lies on ET. You've noticed that, right?

There also a lot of hate and venom on ET... most of that misguided as well.

I just see it and point it out. People don't like being called when they're wrong. (I don't like it when it happens to me, either. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence.. :D )

And the thing on Dell haters. If those who deride Dell had the facts and stuck to them, they would be correct about certain things.

Years ago, I swore "I'll never own a Dell". I had the opinion "they used cheap, proprietary parts... and were basically crap... that's why their prices were low". A lot of people have that opinion yet today... and it's only about 10% correct... maybe 20-30% if you consider tech support from Bangalore.

Then about 2001 or so, I wanted a new computer... and Dell had a "deal I couldn't refuse"... so I grudgingly bought it, thinking I'd not buy another if it was bad.

Well.... come to find out (1) They'd changed their policy about proprietary PSUs and now used ATX standard ones. (2) The "cheap parts" I was concerned about... they had an actual Intel OEM mobo made by Intel.. + Intel CPU and chipset. Certainly nothing wrong with that. and (3) ALL of their other parts were the same "off the shelf" components as the other makers used. And I thought, "Gee... maybe I was wrong.. maybe they're not really crap"?

I ran it with 4 video cards, a TV tuner, an audio card.... until 2008 and sold it used... never had a single hardware problem. That was a Dimension 4400. So... I learned something.

I've had more than a dozen Dells since the first and currently have 5.. including a Precision notebook.

#31     Apr 7, 2010
  2. Myshkin

Myshkin

Well, yeah, I reckon there is a fair amount of venomous, acidic and even explosive hate on ET, especially if you venture into the P&R or even Economics threads, which you do.

Perhaps unwanted advice from a relative youngster ( i think somewhere in a post you intimated retirement, maybe early, i dunno), but I would say to stay out of those threads because you clearly have a lot to offer the hardware and perhaps trading threads and hanging out in P&R giving and getting aggression in countless forms several times a day from people that just have different opinions about the way the country is going and whatnot might give rise to what others perceive as a contentious attitude from you in these other, would-be friendlier threads. Just an idea and maybe a tough one because we do so love OUR opinions. I know I do.

Personally, I have owned 3 Dells, a couple of HPs, a Toshiba, my Mac, an Acer and a compaq since 2000 and besides a few irritations here and there, I really can't complain much about any of them. Then again, I am not the most discerning user for as long as I can browse and more importantly, that it rarely, if ever, freezes/crashes and is quick enough to process my spreadsheets and send orders, it works for me. Oh, and the newest issue, that it supports multiple screens.

Much thanks for the good info, Scat man, and have a great week.

#32     Apr 7, 2010
  3. I never discuss religion, but politics and economics are linked. Isn't it more important that folks understand how the Leftists are ruining America than which mobo will run 6 monitors?

#33     Apr 7, 2010
  4. Myshkin

Myshkin

You may be kidding but to me, it is much more important about the monitors as it is actually relevant to my immediate existence whereas your "Leftists ruining America" assertion would most likely be different if you listen to the OPINION of Olbermann or even Jon Stewart rather than Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity. Then, you might have the opinion that the Dems have brought Uncle Sam back to his prosthetic feet (or maybe his knees) when he had been left for dead after his legs were gnawed off by a ravenous and slightly confused Texan. Neither are totally correct.

Seriously Scatman, IMHO, it is all in the sensationalized colors that these programs adorn the otherwise objective political facts, be it day-glo blue or fire engine red, the more divisive, the better. To me, it really doesn't make much difference EXCEPT that the country seems much more partisan than it has ever been and that is due largely to these so called "news" programs. Probably, somewhere deep within the bowels of FOX and MSNBC lies the unadulterated facts but they are usually so grossly transfigured, it would be impossible to actually determine what is real and what is colorful conjecture.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the creation of my new computer, which I have decided to try to put it together myself, so wish me luck. As the Mobos are one of your specialties, what do you think of the Asus P6X58D Premium X58 6.4GT/s chipset?

#34     Apr 7, 2010
  5. Yes, Bush was/is a TURD. I'm sorry the bastard ever got elected.... I still suspect he was at least duplicitous in the 9/11 attack. But 2 wrongs don't make a right, remember?

Oblerman is a total maniac. He doesn't deserve to live in America... nor do any of the Leftists.

Leftist = Communist, Marxist, Maoist, Obamaist. I hate them all.. they are the disease, not the solution.

You care to know where I stand on America? Read the US Constitution and some American history starting a bit before the American Revolution. Then, consider how far we've moved away from those principles. Obviously you don't yet see the cancer. By the time you do, you and your family will have been left for dead...economically and culturally. If you don't understand that and you favor the left, you might as well put me on ignore... I have zero respect for the Leftists and Democrats.

YOU should be listening to Beck and Hannity... and Judge Napolitano. THEY are the tellers of the truth. It's the Left who lie... constantly.. seems almost every utterance is at best a half-truth (which is of course a lie). You need to at least read the Constitution, read some early American history, then read up on the Left. Be a thinker. Make up your own mind. If you do, you'll not only REJECT the Left and everything they stand for, but you will come to FEAR them.

I was taught to be a Democrat when I was young. My entire family support the Dems. Somewhere along the line I figured out what the Dems were up to. Now I understand that they are the enemy of America and the enemy of Freedom. Lies, theft and bully force are their main tools, and in their eyes "the end justifies the means".

Mobos aren't my specialty, but any X58 chipset will be just fine.

#35     Apr 8, 2010
  6. Not that any one man's belief is justification for another's... but John Stossel, former co-anchor of NBC news show "20/20", admits that he formerly was a Democrat. At some point, he says, he came to reject the agenda of the Democrats and became a Libertarian. (I suspect that had something to do with his leaving or being forced to leave NBC.)

#36     Apr 9, 2010
  7. Greg Walters - OP Mgr from Naplestech is now at EMC Technology - he was the one that was always there for me when I needed a hand. Great guy and extremely helpful. Just a FYI - emcworkstations.com

#37     Apr 9, 2010
  8. I have not used Apple for a long time. Since the Apple II+. This note brought in some interesting thoughts. I looked into the "dual Nehalem" setup. Basically it is a dual CPU setup.

Should I assume that having dual CPU, the performance will be doubled? (May be not quite 200%, but maybe 170% to 180%?) Or else what would be the advantages of having 2 CPUs on the same motherboard?

I read some more writeups on dual CPU workstations. From what I gathered they should enhance the performance for CAD/CAM/graphics applications. I wonder if that applies for displaying trading charts.

It seems a bit difficult to compare performance between different computer models not only from the CPU chip used (what model, what speed), and now with dual CPU versus single CPU.

Would the dual CPUs automatically work for the software? Or special version of software is required to use the second CPU?

#38     Apr 9, 2010