Recommendations for 6 screen computer system? DigitalTigers or Naplestech reviews?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Myshkin, Apr 5, 2010.

1. tortoise

tortoise

I can't find it on the Dell site. Based on what I see of the single-core Xeons, then extrapolating to a hypothetical dual-core Xeon, it seems that the Mac Pro and an identically (or near-identically) configured Dell would go for about the same price.

Of course, the Mac Pro has ease-of expandability and configurability that's simply not in Dell's picture.

And, needless to say, the Dell is absurdly ugly.

#21     Apr 7, 2010
  2. Dell Precision T5500 and T7500 have dual quadcore...

I'll bet "expandability and configurability" are about the same as your Mac.

Care to reveal how much you spent on your powerhouse?

#22     Apr 7, 2010
  3. tortoise

tortoise

$3650 out the door at a Mac store in a no-sales-tax state

specs:

1) dual 2.26 ghz nehalem (8-cores)
    2) 12 g 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
    3) 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    4) 3x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    4) 3-year Apple Care

If you have a chance, configure the Dell along identical lines and let us know what you find. Let's see how much extra I paid for beauty!

[EDIT: Oh, and I had to buy a copy of Windows 7, of course. That was $150.]

#23     Apr 7, 2010
  4. I'm surprised at the low price... I thought you were going to say $8,000.

Looks like about $2250 for Dell T7500 comparably equipped from Dell Outlet (where I've bought all of mine for the last several years), though I'd opt for Nvidia NVS 295 video cards.. (no fans). Of course, I didn't find one already configured as such... but compared one with one E5520 Xeon and presumed I'd buy another online and install it myself... same for additional video cards and RAM.... of course, those are simple tasks.

"Paid extra for beauty"... story as old as mankind itself... :mad:

#24     Apr 7, 2010
  5. tortoise

tortoise

Time is money.

Thanks for checking.

#25     Apr 7, 2010
  6. A lot of traders are Dell haters... some of their bad rep is deserved. However, Dell has certain lines which get better hardware and better service as "business class" machines. The Precision line is EXCELLENT.. from price, quality, and support perspectives. I've even got a Precision notebook... it's little short of terrific!

#26     Apr 7, 2010
  7. Myshkin

Myshkin

Just for the "Dell haters," i have heard from a good source that the Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" monitor is well worth the seemingly exorbitant price of $1100.
    I am probably holding off on getting them as I already have 3 22" Samsungs I am happy with, but in some brighter future, who knows:D

#27     Apr 7, 2010
  8. Myshkin

Myshkin

Much thanks for taking the time for all of the PMs(kept anonymous) and posts, Bolimomo, tortoise, Scat man, etc.
    Good luck to everyone!!

DuhMysh

#28     Apr 7, 2010
  9. Hard to justify $1100 for a 30", when you can get two really nice 24" for that price.

#29     Apr 7, 2010
  10. Myshkin

Myshkin

Scat man, I am trying to give you a little support. I LIKE Dell just fine, naynay on the "hate Dell" sentiment, capisce:)
    Just wondering, are you a countertrend trader thus used to contention?
    Anyway, yep, it is kinda hard to justify the extra expense as I picked up all three of my samsung 22s for the same price of 1 of these but check out the reviews on the thing http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-7175#reviews
    It is always good to keep biz expenses down but if there is even a slight chance that less, larger screens makes it easier for a trader to catch EVERY signal that fits their system's rules (assuming profitability, sufficient position sizing, etc.), then in short time, it has payed for itself.
    Thus, moving towards one large seemless screen with crispy graphics, 3 is closer than 6 or maybe something like this that GTS had posted elsewhere, a nice setup from Samsung
    [​IMG]

I am telling you, i definitely miss a signal or seven per day because first and primarily, i don't have enough screen space but second, the screen space is spread out at different heights with varying spaces in between, chaotic mayhem manifest as a trading room, that has made it increasingly difficult for me. i can't even think of having a setup like Bolimomo's and not get dizzy. That's me but bless him for making it work for him.

Either way, I reckon it all comes down to whatever works for the individual. What is a waste of money for one is the best thing since honey glazed cashews to another:D

#30     Apr 7, 2010