Recommend some hiking book brands

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by indahook, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Absolutely right, but when i notice he mentioned "mainly" just normal getting about, light trails, I was happy enough to mention them.

I've had various ankle /heel injuries, so I have to wear "superfeet" type inserts in most of my shoes, and the cats I dont, they are the spongiest, most well cushioned shoe I have ever owned-so for pavement/dirt they are brilliant, proper hikers can feel a little weird on pavement.

Only issue, is the tread doesn't come out the side, so as you say, anything that might make your hammies/calves quads burn, is going to be vertical enough to need solid ankle support, like my garmonts-if you cant plant the sole on the cats, they can slip on the outside edge of the sole, where you never would with good hikers.

I've been trying to get back into walking, can only carry a light pack because of my back, my dodgy knee and fitness levels preclude actual mountain/real hiking. Managed 12 k the other day, no huge issues, as indahook says, baby steps unfortunately.

My interest in damn good footwear stems from not having been able to walk any distance for a long time, and I really love walking.

Not being able to walk without severe discomfort (much less pain) is just bloody awful-I will be taking my walking stick next time, still working out some niggles, but for me, eliminating boot/footwear issues was the first priority, so I'm happy enough to recommend
    Mammut (mega comfort)
    Garmont (just great all around, assymetric tongue is, actually, truly brilliant)
    Asolo (for a very narrow foot, bulletproof serious hikers)

and the Cats "active alaska"as a great casual street stroller/light trail walker/everyday footwear.

Be sure to try on boots on with numerous socks though, thickest hiking socks, everyday socks, even two pairs of random socks, or you could be unpleasantly surprised down the track, so to speak.

Ah, I love footwear. Not literally, of course.

#11     Jun 23, 2010