Recommend a good monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DT3, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DT3

DT3

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a couple of 20-24' in monitors for trading, not very tech savy so your help would be appreciated.

What resolution should I be looking for?
    Although price isn't a huge issue I'd like to spend no more then $500 for both.

Thx

2. opt789

opt789

Price is a huge issue if you want to buy a 24” for 250. You can’t get a quality monitor for that price, but you can get the low end TN panel like the Dell s2409w on sale for $199. The good Dell 24” is their ultrasharp 2408wfp but those are $489 on sale right now. There is a big difference between 20 and 24”, and some but not all people think there is a big difference between a TN panel and the s-pva panel, so it comes down to personal preference as to size and quality.

3. pspr

pspr

4. Stay far away from Hanns G. I bought 2 of the POS's a couple of years back had failures with both. In fact, 1 monitor had 2 problems during that time. My 4 years old Dell no problem.

5. jumper

jumper

If you go with a 24" lcd, go with the 1920 x 1200 res. The extra real estate is valuable to me. I wish I can get more :)

6. Mvic

Mvic

Stay away from Planar brand, had 6 and every single one died between 13-16 months. Currently running 6 viewsonics from costco and all are doing fine, though only 8 months old.

8. From my own experience (I have bought over a dozen LCD monitors and use them primarily for trading).

Ranking: (Most favorite at top):

Envision
    ViewSonic
    Samsung
    Acer
    AMW

The one brand that I don't like is LG. I took it to a trip one time. Probably the bag handlers tossed the check-in luggage a bit. My LG monitor went dead. My Envision monitor (in the same luggage) was okay.

9. DT3

DT3

Thx for the advice so far. $500 isn't really my max point I just figured decent monitors were to be had for less then $250 a piece. The acer one looks interesting but reading the reviews it seems what you get can be hit or miss when it comes to quality.

#10     Jun 15, 2009