Recommend a Futures Broker?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by fkienast, Mar 6, 2008.

1. fkienast

fkienast

Here is what I am looking for - can someone recommend a broker?

I have 20+ years of experience with stocks. I've also traded futures and options on several occasions in the past (most recently in 2004). I wish to open a small account (around $10000).

Things I need:
    - Low cost per trade (counting all fees). Most of my trades are likely to be simple one-contract long or short, but I would like to be able to do option plays for a reasonable cost if conditions warrant.
    - No inactivity fees. I will only be trading when the best opportunities arise, and may be completely out of the market for months at a time.
    - Access to all the US futures markets. I'm mainly interested in trading metals and energy markets. I'm not interested in trading any of the financial indexes.
    - Ability to enter all standard types of orders (stop, limit, order cancels other, etc.).
    - Company does not have to be the biggest name in the business, but should not be a "fly by night" that might not be around next year.

I don't need the following:
    - Low margins. I am likely to only have one or two contracts at a time so margins are not an issue.
    - A lot of research data.
    - A sophisticated trading platform. I actually want the simplest platform possible that "just works" without a lot of bells and whistles.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Interactive Brokers