Recession is coming ? Take a hard look

Discussion in 'Economics' started by HedgefundTrader2, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Joke? I am sorry I didn't follow.

#51     Jan 12, 2008
  2. Apology accepted.

Just,
    My2¢¢

#52     Jan 12, 2008
  3. Not a worry, keep trading...

#53     Jan 12, 2008
  4. Bush and Charles schumer and Nancy Pelosi are all over for a economic stimulus package for 2008! Congress has sent a letter to White house for discussions on the matter urgently.

The Washington machinery is already into motion averting any possibility of a recession or close to it. Fed has already promised a rate cut as you know it by now ! You still think Goldman Sachs balloon was real ? Come on now...

Hence I can back up my original thesis: Recessions do not occur during election years. Here is the link from Marketwatch.com

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={74B70329-E5E4-4CC3-9B6C-24D8C45C6240}

#54     Jan 13, 2008

5. Connect the dots. All indications point to a Hillary win.

She lost Iowa and was going to lose N.H. by a landslide. It would have been over for her after N.H.

However the "Iran boat incidence" hoax was put out a day before the N.H primary voters were heading to the ballot box.

Unlike Obama, Hillary is for all out war. She is the next chosen one because she knows who's boss. The politics of fear is a tried and true technique, they'll use it again.

#55     Jan 13, 2008

6. I think we were talking about recession ? Right? How recession can impact your trading income in 2008 if there is one?

#56     Jan 13, 2008
  7. :eek: You must be kidding, no?

If not, don't ever say this if you get invited over to Bush Sr.s' place. Or to the Carters'.

#57     Jan 13, 2008

8. The Fed and the Congress and Whitehouse are all on the defensive now. You think with this consternation in the political area they will let financial markets go to hell in election year? Just think about it for a moment.

Bears have been swirling stories about recession striking fear in the hearts of consumer to pull this market down and they keep failing.

#58     Jan 13, 2008
  9. shamu

shamu

Quote from day7793:

"Recessions have never been detected in America during election years, no matter what these economist can drum up and make you believe."

Your are wrong - Recessions did occur in the 1960 and 1980 election years. In both cases the other party won (Kennedy in 1960 and Reagan in 1980).

The 1990-1991 recession, announced well after the fact, supposedly ended in April 1991. But the unemployment rate continued to rise until spring of 1992, and the weak economy, as felt by the voters was still the main issue when Bush Sr lost to Clinton.

Normally unemployment peaks soon after the end of a recession, but in recent years the government has found ways to change these numbers through creative calculations of "unemployment".

These charts are interesting - the rising unemployment rate says we are already in recession, election year or not.

http://caps.fool.com/blogs/viewpost.aspx?bpid=29223&t=01004553487438585767

Shamu

#59     Jan 13, 2008

10. Lets take for a moment you are right and we are in recession.

What are we supposed to do? Sell all our stocks and start shorting the market like there is no tomorrow? I can do that, but that is very very risky. The market has shown exceptional resilience when it come to going down. Its a beast they cannot kill even with steely knives.

There are already major moves in the wings :

1. Feds are going to cut the rates in Jan 2008
    2. Congress and Nancy Pelosi and Schumer are jumping up
    3. White House is considering a stimulus package in Jan 2008

What else the hell you want to happen? Would you consider Moses to come down to earth and lay down Ten commandments?

#60     Jan 13, 2008