Recession is coming ? Take a hard look

Discussion in 'Economics' started by HedgefundTrader2, Jan 8, 2008.

1. It's an election year. When was the last election year you saw the markets tank?

We're ~12% off the highs and are working on putting a bottom in, IMO.

#21     Jan 9, 2008
  2. The 0.3% jump in the unemployment rate in one month should be an omen.

"The last time the jobless rate rose by this much in a single month was in the second half of 2001, when the economy was in the teeth of a recession” said economy.com.

``Since 1949 the unemployment rate has never risen by this magnitude without the economy being in recession,'' said John Ryding, chief economist at Bear Stearns.

Goldman predicts light recession. Fed cuts rates to 2.5%. 10 yr 3.5% by mid summer.

#22     Jan 9, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Pardon if the answer to this is obvious...

Couldn't the Gummint save us from recession by simply lying about this number [too]?

#23     Jan 9, 2008
  4. I will not entertain such thoughtcrime.

#24     Jan 9, 2008
  5. RhinoGG

RhinoGG Guest

Yes! RP is THE best choice for President of this nation.

#25     Jan 9, 2008
  6. Adobian

Adobian

They said the same thing.

"Housing market will not crash".
    "There is no recession".

It's funny, but I think Republicans are handing this over to the democrat who will take the blame in the next 4-5 years.

#26     Jan 9, 2008

7. GOLDMANSACHS trades markets like you do, so their balloon should be taken to whats its worth.

These traders , these institutional traders have been making up these scary stories and feeding you by the hand. You are like a mindless squirrel that nibbles its own poison.

At the start of the post I stated its institutional manipulation games, these are the elephants with whom you need to run. Do what they do and not what they say. These people are short the market and they will pull it up with another story.

How come you can't stop hyperventilating on fears? The reality is that there is no recession. So should you go out and sell ? That is what they want you to do.

When the recession comes you will know it, at this stage its a short term trading bullet in your back

#27     Jan 9, 2008

8. Fearing the "fear" itself?

You have become a speculative trader who bases his trading without any empirical evidence whatsoever. Keep on you won't get too far.

#28     Jan 9, 2008
  9. Yo dipshit, I have no fear. I have been making money buying puts, putz. I booked profit on all puts today BTW, except 2 holdings. Even a bear knows when a bounce is in order. No the bottom is not even close to being in, but we will likely rally into the latter part of the month now before going in the tank again late month/early feb.

You sound an awful lot like stocktrader, new handle?

#29     Jan 9, 2008

10. I beleive the last 2 recessions were over by the time they were actually defined as recessions

#30     Jan 9, 2008