Recently gone automated, what to do?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Lornz, May 13, 2011.

1. Lornz

Lornz

I've recently automated much of my trading. I still take a couple of intraday swing trades, but for the most time I am sitting on my hands, just monitoring my systems.

The systems are working perfectly, but my brain is suffering to a great degree. What am I supposed to do with my time?

Please, I beg of you, offer advice quickly. I am afraid that a troll lives deep inside of me. With all this extra time on my hands, there is a distinct possibility I will end up diluting the quality of this message board...

2. rosy2

rosy2

i doubt this is true. dont you research new ideas at all

3. Lornz

Lornz

Believe what you may. This thread was not really about my automated strategies, it was about how to cope with the adjustment of lounging in the backseat as opposed to being in the driver's seat.

I constantly research new ideas, and my system is dynamic in it's form and I am constantly looking to tweak it. But for now, it is working better than expected, and it is best to leave it be. Most of my research is focused on my longer term discretionary swing trades, my algorithms takes care of the "grinding". And thus, I have more time on my hands than I know what to do with. But I do not really feel comfortable leaving my office either. I am liberated by automated trading, but still I am trapped....

4. I like to get textbooks online and study things I never took a course in. including taking notes and doing the exercises on a lot of scrap paper. It's like getting a do-over or second chance for college. One I started and hope to finish one day is Introduction to Probability, Dartmouth has it in pdf for free.
    www dartmouth edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/book html
    Or last year I got a local library book on Group Theory mathematics. It was very interesting because I'd never thought about math like that before. Renewing it was no problem -- it's not like many people are interested in those types of books.
    Studying something keeps the mind engaged enough that you don't mind being in the back seat for a while. I just wish I could get the exercises correct more often, or have others to discuss the concepts with to learn it better.
    With a bit of searching, you might be able to find something in your interests.
    Also, in the Chat section there is a whole thread about other ETers' hobbies, may give you some more ideas.

5. get a dog

start walking the dog while u are letting the system trade

after a few months you will be confident enough so you can go play golf every day

6. Lornz

Lornz

Thanks for the advice! That is actually what I have been doing. I've taken several courses from thegreatcourses.com, and they are truly great. Every course goes on sale at least once a year, and at a discounted price they are a steal. I've always wanted to learn more about astronomy and physics, and it has helped my trading as well.

But, as you note, the downside (as with trading), is that you haven't got anyone to discuss the concepts with...

7. Lornz

Lornz

Thanks for the advice. I divide my time between Europe, Australia and the US, so I can't get a dog. Too much hassle to drag a dog around the world. Maybe I could get something smaller? A turtle perhaps? But then the walks would be so incredibly slow... :D

8. I've heard of them, sounds like you have positive feedback on them. The course on chaos looks good, only $70. Other than that, I've found a text book on chaos theory: chaosbook org (free) I haven't had a chance to get to it, but it looks tough with a lot of math.
    Maybe there's an active math forum board for discussing these things? I don't expect anyone to teach me a course, just a little help with a question when I'm stumped on something.

9. JamesL

JamesL

I try to sharpen my programming skills during the "lull" times. I use NT but would like to better program my system w/o using the NT crutch.

10. Buy a treadmill and start. Aim to run 3 miles in 30 minutes.

If you can do that once a day, you will become very fit.

And you won't think about trading.

Runningbear

#10     May 18, 2011