Recent Math Graduate 22 Years Looking for Options/Equity Prop Firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Moon, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Moon

Moon

Open to any type of trading whether it is sales/trading at a BB or prop trading. Not limiting myself to a particular asset class. I am specifically interested in options trading because it is what I am most comfortable trading. But have interest in trading cryptocurrencies as well. I have experience with Python, R and VBA. Most fluent in VBA. My coursework: Linear/Matrix Algebra, Probability & Statistics, Options & Futures, Multivariate Calculus, Financial Modeling, Portfolio Management, Econometrics, Differential Equations, Macro & Micro Economics

#41     Oct 31, 2017
  2. truetype

truetype

I'll try one last time... Just get your foot in the door -- don't worry about whether you're "trading" on day 1. Prove yourself and move up.

#42     Oct 31, 2017
    Moon likes this.
  3. just21

just21

#43     Oct 31, 2017
    Moon likes this.
  4. doggyfx

doggyfx

Don't target trading desk position from the very start. You have to grow good network get some recommendations, endorsements because it is too sweet position. If you are not math geek who are specifically targeted by quant firm, then beside skills you have to have smart personality. Knowledge doesn't matter 100% in this domain, and even not 80% I think. (its based on my experience).

#44     Oct 31, 2017
  5. Sig

Sig

The forums at www.wallstreetoasis.com are also interesting, pretty much entirely about breaking into the finance industry. Lot's of posers and garbage to sort through, but worth a binge read for you probably and you might run into a few people in your exact situation you can private message with to get some real-time experiences.

#45     Oct 31, 2017
  6. Moon

Moon

I actually migrated from there haha

#46     Oct 31, 2017
  7. sle

sle

I was just fucking with @ajacobson - my mandate is mostly to trade volatility in various shapes and forms, but I do some other more stat arb like stuff as well.

It's gonna be hard. If you were more of a hard core compsci hacker type, there is a fair chance of getting into the door at some HFT or systematic shop. With more or less a business degree, not too many people will care.

You should also realize that most people do not want to hire anyone unless they are certain that person will last (it's a pain) and without a marquee feature it's harder to make that decision. That leads to a typical NYC dating situation - bunch of employers are looking for good people and bunch of people are looking for jobs, but neither is willing to compromise.

#47     Oct 31, 2017
    Hooter and Xela like this.
  8. sle

sle

Don't take this as a discouragement, simply a statement of facts and that you would have to work harder than most to realize your dream.

#48     Oct 31, 2017
    Moon likes this.
  9. Hooter

Hooter

Advice? Why do you need a job? Working in finance sucks. Get your teaching credential, teach High School math and trade the open before school (west coast, Hawaii?). Probably dozen firms will give you 20:1 buying power on your $ deposit. If you got what it takes then go do it! Then if you are still intrested, you have a successful track record to present. Because 3.4 gpa isnt that great. Stii Not sure? Trade on a real time sim until you are confident before going live with real $ and in the meantime: http://www.hawaiipublicschools.org/ConnectWithUs/Employment/JobOpportunities/Pages/home.aspx

#49     Nov 4, 2017
    777, sle, truetype and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gambit

Gambit

I would go for the teaching job. Continue with a masters from a target school. Baruch is still affordable I believe. Or switch to analytics. More jobs and more money for trading.

#50     Nov 12, 2017