Recent Math Graduate 22 Years Looking for Options/Equity Prop Firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Moon, Oct 30, 2017.

1. sle

sle

As a general rule, any position that will get you face time with traders can potentially lead to being brought onto the desk. I have seen the following examples - at an IB, quants (mostly to exo desks, though), IT, controllers and middle office. At a fund it’s harder to move to a pm group (even if PM wants you to) for various reasons but I have seen execution IT dude move into a pm type role.

#21     Oct 30, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  2. Xela

Xela

There are doubtless some potential employers of whom the two statements quoted above are perfectly valid. I hope it won't cause too much consternation if I mention that there may be others, too. I do so because what's said in the two quotations above is all totally different both from my own experiences, and from those of some others I know.

I fully agree with those two observations.

#22     Oct 30, 2017
  3. truetype

truetype

Jobs become "meaningless" when you're a clock-puncher. If you're ambitious and make yourself valuable, you'll move up on the Street.

#23     Oct 30, 2017
  4. Moon

Moon

Thanks for this. I needed it. Going to start shooting more applications that seem a little bit out

#24     Oct 30, 2017
  5. ajacobson

ajacobson

The NY/NJ/CT area probably has well over 1000 firms related to the investment community.

Everything from:

Brokers
    Funds
    Family Offices
    Data and Analytical
    Service Providers
    News Services

I can go on and I'm probably a 1000 firms light just on all the funds. Get out there or get on the phone and sell yourself.

Here is OCC's member directory. Most are represented in your market.

https://www.theocc.com/membership/member-information/

#25     Oct 30, 2017
  6. sle

sle

From my perspective as a PM, it would never be a decisive factor that a person trades well in his personal account. However, it’s definitely a good conversation point and can be a plus. So it totally makes sense to bring the trade records with you and be ready to discuss in detail. Same for anything else that can potentially sway the interviewers opinion - back tests, models, presentations etc.

Case in point - recently i interviewed a kid that does a lot of crypto currency trading in his personal account. While I have no plans to trade CCs here (*) it made for an interesting chat and I got some insight into his thought process.

* disclaimer - I am a proud owner of 5 bitcoins from 4 years ago :) but that’s about as far my involvement in crypto goes

#26     Oct 30, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  7. Just remember this OP........

"To do the impossible, you must see the invisible."

#27     Oct 30, 2017
  8. Moon

Moon

Wow I didn't even know this directory existed. Thank you so much. Would emailing be as effective as calling? I work full-time so I never have the chance to call during the weekdays

#28     Oct 30, 2017
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Find alum from your school.

#29     Oct 30, 2017
    sle likes this.
  10. thaitye

thaitye

Good Luck Mate

#30     Oct 30, 2017