Recent Math Graduate 22 Years Looking for Options/Equity Prop Firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Moon, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

All trading firms. Why limit yourself to prop? The best way is to exhaust some shoe leather and some phone calls.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    #11     Oct 30, 2017
  2. Moon

Moon

Hofstra

#12     Oct 30, 2017
  3. Moon

Moon

I feel like with my background I would have no shot at sales and trading with BB firms.

#13     Oct 30, 2017
  4. ajacobson

ajacobson

You sound like you are your own worst enemy. Good luck in your search.

#14     Oct 30, 2017
  5. truetype

truetype

One where the bulge brackets don't interview on campus. There are ≈20 targets; the other ≈99½% of the ≈4,000 US schools are non-target.

#15     Oct 30, 2017
  6. sle

sle

There are so many options besides prop and BB dealers.

#16     Oct 30, 2017
  7. truetype

truetype

No, I really meant anything. You're in a great location, living in Bergen. Broaden your scope way, way out. Think backoffice, think vendors, think exchanges. Get a foot in the door, any nook or cranny of Wall St, then make vertical and horizontal moves as your reputation grows.

#17     Oct 30, 2017
  8. Moon

Moon

Perhaps, but I actually appreciate your response. Makes me want to try harder on improving myself.

#18     Oct 30, 2017
  9. Moon

Moon

I agree with you one hundred percent. I’m not limiting myself to prop jobs. I just need advice on which not so related roles will ultimately help leverage and propel me into the trading industry most efficiently because I don’t want to spend years in meaningless jobs that won’t help me end up at a trading desk. I heard IT at a BB firm is an option?

#19     Oct 30, 2017
  10. Having read more than my fair share of resumes and conducted plenty of interviews (albeit for insurance), one thing we always respect is when someone who seems to be just below the qualification threshold is brash enough to shoot for the moon. If they come in and give a good interview, we almost always invite them back for a second. It shows confidence, ambition, and think-outside-the-box / bend-the-rules mentality that makes good hire candidates for us. The ones we do hire tend to be long-term employees too, and often are better at the job than those who have the 'paper' qualifications.

#20     Oct 30, 2017