Recent Graduate looking for Prop Trading Opportunities in NYC area

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kmgilroy89, May 18, 2012.

1. cool

#51     May 21, 2012
  2. Why does OP restrict his search to "NYC area"? If he were ambitious and motivated, he'd be on the lookout for opportunities in the other 93% of the US also.

#52     May 21, 2012
  3. Because I live in southwestern CT. I don't think I'll be able to afford rent. I get the impression that the vast majority of opportunities are in NYC or Chicago.

#53     May 21, 2012
  4. > I live in southwestern CT

Maybe call Murray -- an ET sponsor -- and see if he'd meet you and share his wise counsel? He's in Stamford, I believe.

#54     May 21, 2012
  5. I don't know who this Murray is. But Googling I found Brean Murray, Carret, & Co, LLC in NYC. That might be an opportunity.

#55     May 21, 2012
  6. ignl

ignl

Hmm the main question after your post was why you havent tried trading so probably you need to fix this :) Maybe not best quality, but ninjatrader is certainly better than Yahoo Finance - you can replay and trade each day in real time and its free of a charge. You also need some headstart of how to trade - I would recomend Mark Fisher book "Logical trader", I would skip all those stories books like Market Wizzards or Reminisences for a while, they will make a lot more sense after at least some trading on simulator with some kind of system (my recomendation ACD from logical trader, but you can try something else). I also have some replay data of CL so if you want I could send it to you and you wouldn't need to download each day separately (for some reason ninja only allows downloading one day at a time). Good luck!

#56     May 21, 2012
  7. Thanks. I downloaded Ninja Trader, but it doesn't provide the real time data. They recommend Kinetic, but it's not free. ACD is really expensive. I guess I won't be able to find real time data for free? Does your CL data work with Ninja Trader?

#57     May 21, 2012
  8. Surdo

Surdo

You can get FREE data from Zen-Fire, set up a demo account with Mirus Futures.

Actually, eventually you will have to execute 5 RT's/month for free data, or they whack you $25.

#58     May 21, 2012
  9. I just looked up Bright Trading. They want $10,000. That's not what I'm looking for. I want a company who will invest in their employees, not have their employees invest in them. A company that invests in their employees shows me that they truly believe that they create winning traders. A company that charges for training tells me that they just want money and don't care how well their employees do.

#59     May 21, 2012
  10. I'm not Jane Street or bust, but I don't want to pay $10,000 to get screwed either. I'm looking on Linkedin and see that some people at Jane Street didn't go to top schools, although clearly most of them did. I also see a lot of people who went to UConn working at what looks to be some of the better firms. I don't know what else they did to get the position though.

#60     May 21, 2012