Recent Graduate looking for Prop Trading Opportunities in NYC area

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kmgilroy89, May 18, 2012.

1. #31     May 20, 2012
  2. #32     May 20, 2012
  3. Someone from Wall Street Oasis either has an axe to grind or is making a vague and ambiguous statement.

They are a FINRA broker-dealer, and as such must file annual focus reports with the SEC.

Go to SEC.gov and click the "more search options" on the homepage. Then, on the next page, type the firm's name on the left hand side. You can get access to their 2011 filings. Download the .pdf and have it reviewed by a CPA of your choice.

Unless they had a recent "fire sale", it's unlikely a firm with over $4 billion in assets and $90 million in member's equity is "going under" anytime soon, lol!

#33     May 20, 2012
  4. Here is a link:
    http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/first-new-york-securities-kaput

I don't know how credible this is though.

#34     May 20, 2012
  5. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

I guess I am biased because when I was hired back in 1992, trading firms/CTA's didn't have those requirements. Sure it looks great if you had a high GPA and went to an Ivy League school. But things weren't so strict as far as where you graduated.

I know some great traders who went to good schools and have seen my share of guys from top tier schools fail horrendously at trading. The degree and GPA get you in the door of the interview. But after that there are far more important factors that determine whether you will be successful.

#35     May 20, 2012
  6. Surdo

Surdo

#36     May 20, 2012
  7. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

Read Market Wizards books 1 through 3. Market Wizards 4 comes out in a few weeks. Read that too.

#37     May 20, 2012
  8. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

#38     May 20, 2012
  9. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

I was going to comment on what he said but you beat me to it. A lot of the crap posted on trading sites is usually guys who got canned from a place or has some axe to grind.

Yes...from what I know First NY has made some changes and some guys there aren't happy. But they still are a huge firm and one of the top ones out there.

#39     May 20, 2012
  10. Since you're looking to get hired, I'd find out if the following post is accurate (from the link you provided). Once call to the firm and you'll probably find out more info. If they're not hiring, then it won't matter to you what they've got on their balance sheets. If the comment below is false, then you can proceed accordingly.

"They've also killed their 2 year new hire training program."

#40     May 20, 2012