Recent Graduate looking for Prop Trading Opportunities in NYC area

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kmgilroy89, May 18, 2012.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Is this a real option? Being a professional poker player? Could you make a six figure income playing poker (online or in real life tournaments)?

#21     May 20, 2012
  2. Yes, but it takes a lot of work and dedication just like trading. However, it's now really tough for US players to make a living online since the government forced the largest sites to close. I prefer playing online to live. Live poker moves too slow for me and I think I give off a lot of tells.

#22     May 20, 2012
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

What was your income playing poker?

#23     May 20, 2012
  4. I didn't keep track. I didn't consider it income. I just kept trying to move up as fast as possible, because I liked the challenge of playing good players. I cashed out sometimes and went broke most of the time after moving up so in the end I didn't win or lose a whole lot. My guess would be that I was a slight net winner. I did learn a lot though and I liked to play a variety of games. I played up to 30-60 limit.

#24     May 20, 2012
  5. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

Exactly.....when I started I was taught by the experienced guys. Did a lot of watching and asking questions. Also did a lot of clerk-like duties.

The problem is these days a lot of guys that teach these classes don't trade or couldn't trade their way out of a paper bag.

As they say.....teachers teach...................

#25     May 20, 2012
  6. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

3 Days. You are basically telling this guy to learn trading/ produce a strategy in 3 days. That is beyond stupid. It takes much more than days/month.

Gilroy would be very smart to completely disregard anything you say.

#26     May 20, 2012
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

So you were flat playing poker and you considered doing it professionally.
    You want to trade but have no experience nor demonstrated interest whatsoever.
    You consider yourself a raw talent despite having (no offense here) a 3.6 GPA from a second tier school.

hmmm...

#27     May 20, 2012
  8. traderchi128

traderchi128 Guest

The part about him going broke does not bode well for a trading career.

As far as his GPA, while a 3.6 is very good....not sure how it relates to him becoming a great trader.

While I do see some similarities between poker and trading, I'm not convinced that great poker players make great traders. I know of some very big poker players out there who ventured into trading and got obliterated when they tried trading.

#28     May 20, 2012
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I studied engineering at an Ivy league school. Minimum GPA to get an interview was 3.7.
    He wants someone to hire him based on his intelligence, competitiveness, and passion. Like most young people he doesn't bring much else to the table; but he hasn't demonstrated any of this so far.

#29     May 20, 2012
  10. I gave up the idea of playing poker professionally like freshman year of college. I only posted, why trading over becoming a pro poker player, because I figured the question might come up. I could have made money by playing the lower limits. I was more concerned about improving. Poker is a game where when you move up you can expect to lose. There is a learning curve moving up. When you trade you always play against the same players, the aggregate market. It's very different.

I do have interest. I've watched a ton of CNBC, including following what was happening to Facebook all day on Friday. I've watched shows on trading. Like I said, I do have a Yahoo Finance account, but do not like the format. I'm also interested in things that have a lot in common with trading like poker. My major was in economics and my favorite course was Probability Theory.

My GPA and school are not reflective of my ability.

I understand your concerns about me. How do you think I could change those going forward?

#30     May 20, 2012