Recent Grad - Seeking Advice for Entering Trading Industry

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jmick15, Jul 25, 2006.

1. jmick15

jmick15

I appreciate the candid insight into the realities of trading, which I obviously know little about. It seems the consensus is that a sensible approach (unless I am a math wunderkind, C++ guru, or masochist - of which I am none, I am simply a young, educated guy intrigued by the market and how it functions and, additionally, skeptical of the corporate world) would be to get a career, earn some money, pursue some advanced education, all the while reading and continuing to learn about investing, the market, and trading so that once I am in a stable situation I can begin to trade with less at stake than my complete livelihood. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

#11     Jul 25, 2006
  2. trom

trom

Don't be pessimistic about it. Just keep you eyes open.

I also graduated from Northwestern and just started working at a firm trading the firm's capital. I had a psych degree, had no trading experience, no connections, and really didn't know much about the markets. I was able to pass the aptitude screening stuff and interviewed well enough to get hired. Send resumes/cover letters to all the firms you can find. Pay close attention to MonsterTRAK through NU - where I found my job listing.

#12     Jul 25, 2006
  3. cml2949

cml2949

A simple way is to join a trading group working on the floor as a clerk. Once you work for about 6 months to a year as a clerk you should be able to be considered for a Trading position.. It takes a lot of attention and focus. Go to the cbot or cme site and look for trading groups affiliated with the exchange.. Or simply just go to the exchanges and look for companies as people come out to take breaks or leave work.. Than apply you know? Theres no limits .. have fun with it..

#13     Jul 29, 2006
  4. The Series 7 doesn't really teach you anything that will make you money. But if you get sponsored (hired), take/pass the test, you might (but might not) get to hang around people who do know how to make money.

#14     Jul 29, 2006
  5. Congratulations on your graduation, economics is a terrific major for trader. If I were you I would look at the Money Management Departments of the large Chicago banks. They tend to hire a lot of recent grads. You will pick-up valuable experience and they will probably pay for your grad school. Believe me nothing feels better than telling a room full of blowhard bankers "F--koff I quit":p

#15     Jul 29, 2006